All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How to spot an import

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteCruiser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 15:43    Post subject: How to spot an import Reply with quote

I'd appreciate some help if anyone can..

I m looking at a 100 series LC on e bay -

The owner does not know if it is an import or not. I wondered if there is an easy way to tell?

The vehicle has wind deflectors on the windows - I have seen these a lot on imports. The owner also says there is a TV and a fridge - are these standard features on a UK car. I guess a logbook would answer the question as to who sold it new - are there any other ways to tell? IE engine numbers or switchgear on the dash of extras.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 15:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

In SECTION 3 (Special Notes) on the front page of V5c it says Vehicle was registered overseas declared manufactured (Year)
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is 'No'. Different markets got different equipment in different years. It also depends on whether it's petrol or diesel.

The UK cars are marked  'VX' or 'GX'. In Australia (for example) they have a 'GXL' and a 'Sahara' model. There may be others.

The cars previous owned in Japan mostly have an extra external mirror on the left hand front corner of the car which marks them out as different. But I don't know what is done to identify cars from other places in East Asia (Philippines, Thailand, etc) or the Middle East. The main thing which separates us and the Japs from the rest is the steering wheel being on the RHS. However (again), some cars from Africa may also be designed to drive on the left.

The big (interesting) differences are that the Jap cars tend to have more gadgets but may lack diff locks. The UK petrol cars (I think) have a clever system which also lacks diff locks but uses the ABS to provide traction control so perhaps they are not that different from the Japanese.

The big worry about grey imports is their previous history. It's difficult to check mileage and maintenance records. Also whether the car has been stolen.

If you are buying from a reliable supplier (big garage?) and can rely on them backing you up if the car proves to be dodgy, it may not be a worry.

Willy
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV and fridge seem to make it an import , I would question the sellers honesty as Andy said. it will say its an import on the V5 , if they are being evasive about that, what else are they hiding ?
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imports usually have that silly parking mirror on the front wing., if it's got a fridge & tv then it's an import as grimbo says
WhiteCruiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I asked the seller to check the V5 and he says it states it was sold new on such and such date. No mention of being imported. He has a service book showing the first service at a Toyota dealer in Bracknell. This all sounds like a UK car. But on the other hand, it has Japanese wtiting on the dash, a fridge and TV and the red button next to the auto shift. (I had a surf with this button and think they are only on Jap market cars) It sounds like a bit of mixed heritage and I have decided to pass on it

I have found another 100 series - 70,000 miles, full Toyota service history, VX, dark blue and good condition. Anyone like to offer there opinion on what I should expect to pay (advertised at £9250)

Thanks, Jim
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fridge, TV and definately the red button matk this as Japanese Domestic Market and also the Japanese Writing on the dash.

May also be shown on the VIN plate as an HDJ101.
smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally the markings on the windows are a bit of a giveaway as well, as well as the daft euro spec rear light arrangements.
markthespark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like it is an import. i must say i find it hard to beleve that the current owner doesnt kno!! he would have been told when buying any part for it. i have an jap import and mine has a fridge.

The concusive way is to get the VIN and ring toyota. they will be able to tell where it was built origianlly but they cant give its history.
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteCruiser wrote:

I asked the seller to check the V5 and he says it states it was sold new on such and such date. No mention of being imported. He has a service book showing the first service at a Toyota dealer in Bracknell. This all sounds like a UK car. But on the other hand, it has Japanese wtiting on the dash, a fridge and TV and the red button next to the auto shift. (I had a surf with this button and think they are only on Jap market cars) It sounds like a bit of mixed heritage and I have decided to pass on it

I have found another 100 series - 70,000 miles, full Toyota service history, VX, dark blue and good condition. Anyone like to offer there opinion on what I should expect to pay (advertised at £9250)

Thanks, Jim

what year is it?
WhiteCruiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

hgv dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think that the japanese writing would be a give away,i have a uk spec amazon and it has no japanese writing on any labels.also was the speedo in mph or kph?
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodgy0_2 wrote:
WhiteCruiser wrote:

Thanks, Jim

what year is it?

mmm I think thats a tad expensive tbh, i think £8500 is better , and 8000 would be much better (thats for a 4.2TD, petrol, lower still)
Bearcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 01 LC import. Yes the diff locks are not there, jap stickers, kph mileometer,  but all in all a very good machine and should'nt be ignored. The diesel 4.2 with 130km is a peach and is smoother than my 06 amazon.

All jap imports are not jap *beep* and you can get get bargains galore with these 100's.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly agree with the comment on the imports having previously owned a Hilux Surf import. It's horses for courses and just a few more options as to what spec you want. Some of the 80 series imports come with loads of extras, you can get the diff locks plus sometimes you get factory winch, lift, all kinds of camping gear plus the Alcantara trim is lovely. Not sure what kind of options the 100 series imports come with but have seen a few around and they look quite special (a lot seem to have the Lexus trim packs available on the LX470 in the US which looks quote pretty and why not, the 100 isn't the same rough tough on the outside beast that the 80 series (although it still has the heart of a Lion), no reason why not having it look nice as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: