Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

rear difflock trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodoldboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 18:28    Post subject: rear difflock trouble Reply with quote

just bought a 97 vx colorado and guess what? the rear diff lock light keeps flashing!havent had  time to get underneath for a look just yet so can anyone tell me what to look out for? have seen powertrax diff locks advertised for 250 euros on a spanish website could be a cheaper/better fix than the scrappy?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 18:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. There are plenty of threads on here covering that already. Never heard of powertrax, personally. Are they compatible with the 4x4 ecu? Are they an airlocker? It depends if you want a rear locker. My view - get a replacement, either new or off a scrapper. The one you have will be duff. There's no tapping it with a hammer. Inside will most likely look like a beach. As long as you have gone back and forth, turned the wheel etc and it still hasn't engaged, it's stuffed.

LC
goodoldboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes have seen some of the other postings, thanks anyway
goodoldboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

just seen 4runners posting and am about to go out n try the difflock again as i suspect my car has never been off-roaded before - its  a vx , the first owner was an accountant , cup holders intact! ect - so off down to our canyon/riverbed to see if i can get stuck!
gilghana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the powertrax is a "lunch box locker" like the Ozzy Locker etc.  In other words it is an automatic locker, very easy to fit - I think with many of them you don't even have to strip the diff fully.  I had a detroit auto locker in a heavy LWB Defender and it worked great (they are a bit more than the powertrax though), but I have heard of reports that they can be a pain in shorter/and or lighter vehicles. Some folk love them, some folk hate them. Some clank and bang when they unlock, and some people report "interesting" handling characteristics with them.  I never had a problem with that though.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gil. Not sure that we all understood that. You may have been using words that have little meaning here in the UK. Can you explain a little.

Lunch box?
Ozzy?
Auto locker?
Powertrax?

Honestly not being funny, it's just I'm not sure that we have this stuff here. We could go with an ARB Air locker on a 90, but this doesn't help with the 4x4 ecu and the ABS - but it is possible. That's about it.

LC
gilghana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LC -
an auto locker/lunch box locker/Ozzy or whatever are all fairly similar in that they are permanently locked, unlocking automatically when the car turns a corner.  They are fairly popular (esp the slightly more expensive and very strong Detroit 'No-spin') with the Landrover crowd - often combined with a Truetrac helical geared torque biasing diff in the front.  On part time 4bys like my troopy it is not unknown for people to fit autos front and rear.  

One advantage is that in some cases they can be fitted by only removing the side gears in the diff, but as I say some people report strange handling characteristics and they are maybe not for those that don't realise they are there!  For others the fact that there is no air/electrics and nothing to think about are major plus points.  

Interestingly they are also used in some wheeled CAT equipment (i.e. big Detroit No-Spins), so they are strong!  It might not be related (could be rubbish pattern parts) but in my old Defender I did notice a fairly fast rate of wear of driving members/half shafts and tyres).  For occasional use the Toyo e-locker or TJM/ARB pneumatic selectable locker is perhaps a better if more expensive route.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers buddy. That's interesting. Not heard of that. Don't think that we can get those easily (cheaply) here for the 90. No need really. The RDL when working is spot on.

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: