4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC5 Rear Suspension Failure

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:01    Post subject: LC5 Rear Suspension Failure Reply with quote

Looks like I'm a victim of the dreaded suspension sensor failure on my 2005 120 series LC5.  Mad  Shocked

Decided to drive it in to work this morning (couldn't face another day of other peoples coughs & colds on the bus) and all of a sudden the suspension went rock-hard, and it felt as though I had a flat!  Pulled over, checked it all out - the tyres were fine (not surprisingly - they're Cooper Discoverer STTs  Wink ) but the rear end was way up in the air.  Wouldn't respond to the ride-height setting switch either, until I switched it all off and re-started the vehicle.  Did this twice on the short ride in to work (only about 6 miles or so).

So it's back to Toyota for a fix-up - thank goodness it's under warranty, and Julian hasn't had a go at the suspension yet!!

Will report back on what they find, and replace.  My front right caliper is sticking, too, and I think there's potentially an issue on the rear drive shaft splines (seem to 'stick' and then release and feels like someone just rolled into the back of the vehicle as it releases ...) so a few things for them to resolve.

This seems to be a not-unheard of issue - TLC120 has a lot about it, not on the Prado 120 (don't know if they get them over the water?) but certainly on the other shared base platforms - and the parts are expensive.

I just knew I was going to have hassles with all the electrickery .... Rolling Eyes

Cheers Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Let us know how you get on. I've an LC5 too and it's '04. Only 60k miles though. I'll be having a good look at the calipers this w/e too.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, will do - and I've only just turned up 25k miles  Crying or Very sad

The Canadians reckon salt damage on the sensors (but given the state of the Lincomb mud, it may be that  Wink  or the Welsh river-roads we drove ...).  That could be the cause of the sticking caliper too - was on my list of 'to-do' items tomorrow, so will see how I get on ..
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck, Gary! Sorry to hear of your misfortunes - at least it was close to home in sunny Scotland and not 800k's from anywhere in the deserts of Africa!
I saw your comment on the thread for an outing to Salisbury Plain and wondered what was up....

I take you haven't added the OME suspension bits yet? I bet Toyota would love to pick on that as a cause of the problems  Shocked

Anyway, best of luck with the repairs and I hope Toyota sort everything properly and it's all covered by the warranty!!

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ja, thanks, Andrew.  And yep, damn glad Julian hasn't done his thing yet on the suspension, because they would certainly blame that, as we'll be 'tweaking' the sensors to generate 25mm lift in the back as standard, with another 25mm available in 'high' mode  Laughing  as well as chucking out the TEMS bits for the shocks  Wink

They won't be too happy about that, I reckon!!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno that I said 'Damn'  Laughing   A tad harsher, IIRC  Shocked   Good thing no-one could hear me.

Anyway, it was interesting to see just how hight the suspension could go  Shocked   Looked like it was on stilts - almost NO wheel in the arch - all out on display.  In fact, I think only the shock being extended to maximum travel stopped it  Wink
Olazz

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 19:13    Post subject: Re: LC5 Rear Suspension Failure Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
the tyres were fine (not surprisingly - they're Cooper Discoverer STTs  Wink )

Gary,

You seem very happy with the STT's... lots of probs at home with them as you know, so how come your're such a fan?

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems with mine, 03 LC5 40Kmls, although I think self inflicted.

When steam cleaning the under body for waxoyle treatment, I think I induced some water into the plus/connectors. Could never get the height set right, I also adjusted them myself so the ride height was about 10mm lower to get into my garage, but the body as noted would reach some interesting heights you'd think the shocks were about to pop their cylinders!

Anycase, I removed and stripped the sensors, pretty basic, resistance linear strip with metalic slide. There not sealed units, 3 philips screw remove the cover, then contact cleaner and cotton bud can be used to clean the metalic strip,  and silicone greace the rubber seal and re-install.

Only thing to note the seperation between opposing ball joints is pre set at the factory, so when removing avoid disconnecting on the axle slide (unless you mark) remove the complete assy from the chassis taking the axle tramp bar with it.

I did clean mine but the metal was so contaminated on the drivers side that it still didn't work so, fortunately I picked up a 2nd hand set of of e bay (I think Toyota is around £300 each) fitted and all well.

If only my engine could be fixed so easily!
leon

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

was playing about with my AHC couple of weeks back ......i ended up setting the ajustable rod's at about 2.5 cm so i can still get in multi story car park's  Rolling Eyes

any ways piont is one problem to be avioded is  the amount of droop left in the suspension. If you lift too much, your suspension (shocks) will "knock" (top-out) when going over bumps. Here's some advice from ATS4X4:

Quote:
You should maintain a minimum of 70mm [2.75"] of droop in the 100 IFS front set up, if you have a Slee diff drop fitted, to stop the cv boots wearing out. [boot pleats shouldnt be touching in straight ahead position at ride height]. This is normally 50-60mm higher than standard, depending on accessory levels. On a 16" rim this makes for 770mm [30.3"] measurenent from bottom of rim bead edge up through centre of wheel to fender edge when set up correctly. Rear should be aprox 790-800mm [31.5"]

2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, folks

I'll have a look at the sensors tomorrow - I suspect that same cause, i.e. a power washer, post-Lincomb, so I'll have a look.

ITO replacing the suspensions, there will be new, longer-travel shocks, but more importantly there will be travel-limiting straps at the rear to prevent the air-bags from becoming dislocated and falling out!

We'll see how it all goes

Olazz - I love my Coopers.  Admittedly they've not been on long but they were fantastic at Lincomb and are great on-road too.  I've been following the drama in SA and it seems to be a bit of a storm in a teacup - one or two unhappy guys, a lot of very happy users.  There are issues, but they seem to be common to BFGs as well, just not in such quantities.  My tyres are the newer ones, with the tri-guard sidewall, and I must say that cornering on-road is way better than what I had from the Dunflop GaanVreks  Wink
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
we'll be 'tweaking' the sensors to generate 25mm lift in the back as standard, with another 25mm available in 'high' mode  Laughing  as well as chucking out the TEMS bits for the shocks  Wink
Is the suspension setup for AHC different on a 120 to a 100 then? On a 100 the height is controlled by the pressure in the hydraulic system and AFAIK uses what look like conventional shockers as hydraulic rams with the accumulators (sphere things on the chassis) being the actual remote reservoir shockers if you like.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Yep, the suspension is totally different.  What the 100 AHC has sounds like what my dad's old Citroen D Super 5 had?  He always said it was a car way ahead of its time.  Wink

The 120 has electronically controlled shocks, with actuators on the top that adjust, I think, the valving to create either softer or stiffer damping affects based on driving style, road surface and also through a rotary switch on the centre console, allowing soft or stiff settings to be chosen as an over-ride.

The front coils are standard springs over adjustable shock.

The rear 'springs' are in fact air springs, connected to a little on-board compressor that allows the vehicle to auto-level, and allows the driver to lift or drop the rear suspension from another centre-console switch.  The drop is about 20mm, and puts the rear down on the bump-stops and is only really used when loading the rear - at speeds over 10mph it lifts back to 'normal' on it's own. The high is about a 25mm lift and is useful when off-roading, but at anything over 30mph it drops back to 'normal'.  This is all based on the sensors and the adjustment mechanism, similar to the ones pictured above, but only for the back.

The tweaking is done by setting the AHC to recognise a new value as 'normal' and from there you can still get ~20mm difference each way.  New shocks without the TEMS bit on all 4 corners, and uprated springs (e.g. OME or similar) up front will complete the upgrade.  The rear air-springs are kept, as is the auto-levelling function, so it'll be great for overlanding - whether there's 0kg or 400kg in tha back, it'll always adjust to standard height.  Got to fiddle the ECU as well to prevent it going into emergency limp mode when no TEMS shocks detected  Wink

Hope that makes sense?  Rolling Eyes

BTW - how's the repairs to your 100 progressing?

Cheers
leon

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a drawing of the LC5 back end you can see it's indeed nothing like the AHC on the 100's  Wink reminds me on the "surf KZN130" it had the same kind of set up with eletronic controled shocks

2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just busy saving that lot!! Anyway, here are some pics:

Compressor and LR air spring:

Air Cell:

Front shock TEMS connector:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: