Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

12v inverters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 23:23    Post subject: 12v inverters Reply with quote

What can you tell me about inverters, chaps? I want to put one in the new build. 'What do you want to run, LC?" Well, I don't know yet. I just look forward to the day when someone says 'Oh if only we had 240v'.

I know nothing about them, except through electrickery they turn battery acid into real squiggly wave power. Do we have to connect them to direct to the altimeter or can we scotchegg them to the fag lighter wires? The more oompah they have, clearly the more ££ they cost and apparently they won't run certain devices. I wouldn't use one without the main elastic band running as I think it would flatten the crankenstarter pretty quickly.

Experience really appreciated.

Professor LC
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 23:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:21    Post subject: Re: 12v inverters Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
What can you tell me about inverters, chaps? I want to put one in the new build. 'What do you want to run, LC?" Well, I don't know yet. I just look forward to the day when someone says 'Oh if only we had 240v'.

I know nothing about them, except through electrickery they turn battery acid into real squiggly wave power. Do we have to connect them to direct to the altimeter or can we scotchegg them to the *beep* lighter wires? The more oompah they have, clearly the more ££ they cost and apparently they won't run certain devices. I wouldn't use one without the main elastic band running as I think it would flatten the crankenstarter pretty quickly.

Experience really appreciated.

Professor LC

Hi Landcrusher
Inverters are very power greedy, but if you want to fit one, get the biggest (Watts) you can afford, but you will have to wire direct to the battery, with substantial cable, with a isolition switch and a fuse.

you cannot tap into things like altimeters, and also dont leave them on when not in use, and poss need to run the engine when using them.they use something like 10% of the max output just with no load.

then there is diffrent types of Inverter, depending on what you want to use it for, if its for a Drill/electric motor, then any will do, but if you want to run things that are spike sensitive, like TV's then you need special types of inverter

Radiotwo
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a relatively low power inverter will need quite heavy gauge wiring to the battery to be safe. I know some of them come with cigarette lighter plugs but even a 150 watt inverter is pushing your luck connected like that. They will work without the engine running but, the cheaper ones especially, do need a fairly high input voltage or they shut off. I think some of the input voltage ranges quoted might be a bit optimistic judging by my experience with the little ones. I had a 2KW continuous in the back of my 80 and that coped much better with lower input voltages than a 300W one that was in the front but it needed very heavy gauge cables to the aux battery about 2 foot away.

I haven't bought one for a while now so I don't know if any of them are still square wave. This is usually what causes compatibility issues, the waveform of the AC output, with domestic 240v being a pretty pure sign wave. Some devices cope with square wave and some don't.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so far Guys. That's given me a bit better steer. I have a triple battery set up with automatic isolation blah blah so providing some power, with HD cable isn't a problem. I already have that laid on. My compressor is wired in on an Anderson socket and that draws 38 amps. My rear winch power cable is 40mm2.
I don't have a specific need, but seems daft not to put one in whilst it's all in bits.

Bigger is better and look for sine wave. Yeah?

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Bigger is better and look for sine wave. Yeah?
Sounds about it as far as I can advise  Very Happy

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAECO make some nice ones - steer clear of  the cheap Chinese variety.  And refer to the electrickery 101 post, because for this you should use large cable  Wink

Seal it up nicely to keep the smoke in  Laughing  Laughing

Also, you do need to decide what you want to do with it - charging batteries, running notebooks is fine, but running a kettle, for instance, is just not really worth it - draws way too much juice.  And running power-tools is probably a bit iffy too.  But there are times when it's useful!

Also - go for the biggest you can afford (they do get expensive) but the smaller one's aren't much use for anything except maybe a small 1.5v battery charger or camera battery charger, etc.

Must admit, I've always had one previously, but I'm not sure I will fit another one - most of the on-board electronics I want comes in 12v or 240v anyway.  But I admit, it still seems like a good idea!!  You may want to consider a solar charger too, just to keep the batteries topped off if you're camping / stopped for a while and running the inverter.

Cheers
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

150W will power a laptop (well actually about 75W will power a laptop, gte 500W and above if you want to run stuff like a TV off it.

Wire directly to the battery with at least 8WG cable. The bigger the cable the better but the harder to run and more expensive.

if its a big inverter, make sure it can keep cool, a 3KW one will generate a lot of heat (as well as running you battery down damn quick). I have seen some installs that defy logic and probably promote cooking with the LC as your heat source - i.e flames and stuff coming out the back of the truck Smile.

Make sure it has an undervoltage cut out to avoid it draining your batteries (mind you - shouldn't be an issue in your setup unless maybe you are running a fridge that you want to make sure will still run in which case making sure the TV etc doesn't mean that all you food gets spoiled is quite important.

One other thing - however and wherever you mount it make sure you can pull out the plug easy in the case of emergency - again you will be amazed at some of the installs that mean that you have to move quite a bit just to get the plug in and out - such as drop the tailgate - dumb idea as it just adds time to a problem.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know tis is not the answer you were looking for, but a lot of small gadgets can be supplied directly from the car's battery via a suitable adaptor. I have these for my mobile phone and laptop. This avoids using an inverter.

You can also get USB fitting chargers so lots of small gadgets can be kept topped up this way.

A good adaptor will filter out the nasty spikes and crackles you tend to get in car electrics and this will protect the device being used if you want to use it while charging and running the engine at the same time (i.e. while driving). A cheap adaptor may just have a small resistor to drop the voltage while letting all the electrical noise through as well.

If you think about it, you are taking a source of 12V DC and converting it to 220V AC only to convert it back to 6 - 12V DC (whatever your gadget needs). It is a bit unnecessary.

Also, the same adaptor can be used in any car - you don't need to fit inverters to each of them.

Of course this won't work for mains equipment.

If you put:

"car adaptor" charger

into Google it comes up with many links to web sites where you can get this sort of kit for phones etc.

Willy
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Must admit, I've always had one previously, but I'm not sure I will fit another one - most of the on-board electronics I want comes in 12v or 240v anyway.  But I admit, it still seems like a good idea!!  You may want to consider a solar charger too, just to keep the batteries topped off if you're camping / stopped for a while and running the inverter.
I mainly bought a big inverter to power an angle grinder which can be very handy from time to time  Laughing  The inverter route was more useful to me than a cordless angle grinder. Mine can cope with the start up current of my 4.5" grinder which is what I intended but the 9" is too much for it. Like Gary said most gear is available as 12v and that's more efficient than the inverter route. I got a reasonable sized solar panel cheap from Maplin for our now sold caravan that I think I'll wire so I can chuck it on top of the RTT which is another plus point for the hard shell RTT  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Willy wrote:

If you think about it, you are taking a source of 12V DC and converting it to 220V AC only to convert it back to 6 - 12V DC (whatever your gadget needs). It is a bit unnecessary.

Willy

Willy, that's an awesome piece of advice. Quite right. Little point in doing that. I dunno what I'd run from it. Not a laptop, I don't think. Maybe lighting or even cooling like a fridge. I know they can run 12v. I may have to rethink this. Just what WOULD I run at 240v? A wheel gun would be good. My compressor doesn't give enough cfm for one of those.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that all that's left now that needs 240v really are power tools of some form ....
Pretty much everything else can be got to run from 12v - e.g. my iPhone has a 12v USB charger, my laptop has a 12v charger, my lights are 12v fluorescent, the fridge / freezer is 12v or 240v, the tyre pump is 12v, the blow-up (wait - enough  Wink )

Anyway, the point is, sooner or later you'll need one - I know what this is - it's toy-time again  Laughing .  So get one, sine-curve smoothed, the best and biggest you can (and aspire to 'he who dies with the most toys wins' strategy  Wink  Laughing  Laughing )
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think a lot of them are for charging up 249 V devices like cordless drills, two way radios and then also fridges, TVs and Laptops.

One advantage is that you need to carry less adaptors. At the moment I have so many power adaptors in the car need to carry a bag just to put them in. Things like laptop, wireless screen, Handheld CB, cooler box, PDA, phone etc etc..

When I build my drawers I will be building in a small Inverter - I don't have the need for anything above a 150W unit but may well fit a 500W one just in case.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a 240v petrol genny. Wonder if I should just build that in?  Cool  Laughing

The way it's going, I'm going to have less room inside than I did with the wooden crate affair that I'm replacing. It's really about gaining more width. The depth is exactly the same. But the area over the wheel arch will now be usable. I may stick a moderate unit in. 3 meggawhat? might be useful, but might be difficult to actually live with in terms of powering it. Something like a 500 or 700, just for emergencies might be the more sensible option. Just there in case I need it.

LC
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about another option which I'm thinking of using instead of the inverter. I bought one of then Halfords portable powerpacks which have a 240V output (300W), standard cigarette lighter output (also the input for charging), a light and a compressor. Costs about the same as the same sort of size inverter and has all the other bits. You can keep it charged in the vehicle and can then use it as a jump starter. Also if you are camping you can always bring it in your tent to power a TV or suchlike. I might just use this and build a space to fit it in, then you don't need o carry a separate compressor.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will fit the big one from my 80 in the 100 but only because I already have it with cables, will have a battery very near by, and have space for it. If any one of those were missing I probably just wouldn't bother  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: