Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Totally remove EGR System?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Totally remove EGR System? Reply with quote

Following on from my post where I described the huge amount of crud that builds up in the intake on the 1HD-FT engine, I have been thinking about totally removing the whole EGR setup. At present only the vacuum pipes are plugged.

I've noticed for other markets the 1HD-FT was offered as a non-egr engine, how feasible would it be to purchase one of the non-egr air intake pipes & disconnect all the electrical gubbins. Is this likely to throw the ECU in a spin?

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just made up two alloy blanks the same size as the gaskets , fitted one on the exhaust manifold and other between the valves and inlet . The EGR is now isolated from both ends but still looks connected. I even put the vacume pipes back on . The ECU still thinks its doing a good job so is happy . I don't think the EGR control is linked to anything else so if you did remove all the EGR stuff the fuel pump wouldn't know any different . I thought about getting a non EGR inlet but they seem as rare as rocking horse pooh ! Another reason I wanted one is I dont like the way many intercooler kits are fitted by hacking off the end of the inlet and welding a bit on for the hose to attach to, looks realy tacky and a bodge job. A firm called Four Counties used to sell realy nice intercooler kits from Oz , I think they were semi-official Toyota ones , even came with a can of brake fluid because you had to move some brake fittings . Can't seem to find them now  Sad
Brett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to keep an eye on the Aussie e bay to see if a non-egr inlet comes up for sale. Realistically I would imagine I'd have to buy a new one from Toyota. I think they cost around the £200 mark.

Did you clean out the inlet manifold when you did yours or just the intake pipe?

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are all sorts of ways to blank off the EGR system - the simplest is to just disconnect the two rubber hoses connected to the EGR valves and use one to loop between the two valves and the other to loop between the two solenoids - very easy and if you are worried about emissions at MOT (rarely a problem) it doesn't take long to reconnect them.

If you are going to take the valves completely out you need to bear in mind that the pre-heater above the turbo needs to be earthed, which is does through the EGR valves, when you remove these the pre heater tries to earth itself through the throttle linkage and then down to the injection pump because the inlet manifold is insulated from the block) - this will cause problems and can lead to some interesting sparks flying around as the pre-heater tries to draw a heavy current - the trick is to remove the EGR valves and then run an earthing strap between the exhaust manifold and the inlet manifold.

Grimbo - on the issue of intercoolers - yes hacking the inlet manifold to do the pipework for an intercooler can be messy, but it is cheap and effective.  All American in Holland and Safari in Aus both produce intercooler kits where they have made up their own inlet manifolds which look a lot neater, but that's probably why they tend to cost twice as much as the Allisport kits who go down the route of chopping the inlet manifold.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Brett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian,

Is the earth issue what can cause the glow plug light in the dash to illuminate after removing the EGR system. (I know I haven't got glow plugs  Wink )

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glow plug light on the dash on the 24valves is linked to the pre-heater in the inlet manifold although I've not experienced problems with it when removing the pre-heater for Intercooler installs.

The usual problem with the glow plug light coming on o with 24 valves is more often than not down to relay problems.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: