4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Lake District weekend 15/16 August

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 13:45    Post subject: Lake District weekend 15/16 August Reply with quote

Hi all,

SWAMBO and I are planning on a little jaunt to the Lake District on the weekend of 15 / 16 August (aiming to get down there on the Friday evening).  No specific areas settled on as yet ...

Can anyone suggest a reasonable camp-site to use, or let me have Garmin track-logs and waypoints / routes for lanes / wild camp spots please, as have only ever been there once before, in a 'normal' car  Laughing  so don't have any of that sort of info.  May get a Multi-Map overlay for there if necessary.

Anyone want to join us, let me know - the more, the merrier (oh - there will be boerewors and a fire  Wink  Razz )

Cheers

Gary
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 13:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

on timing:  Sad
(incase my wife ever reads this) I'll be too overjoyed at the birth of my first child to attend. (Which I will of course Surprised )
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to say i'm on holiday then.

Would have loved to have done the Lake District, not been there since a school trip in 1978.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, guys ...

Can't do the earlier weekend as it's my daughters 21st then, and can't do this next weekend as SWAMBO has invited all my out-laws over for a braai (hang on ... maybe a solo trip  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil nah - not worth losing my knaters over!!)
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with commercial camp sites Gary but do know a couple of spots for wild camping which seems to be quite common round there even just for family campers. I expect to have a long weekend there later in the year, more like mid September time when it's a bit quieter though. NY4779008467 is part way up Gatescarth Pass, traveling south to north you're just before the gate from which a TRO means needing a permit to go any further. There's room for a couple of vehicles and we rigged a tarp across some of the walling. In the morning before you go back the way you came, have a stroll up the pass for some fantastic views. Also NY3494522728 worked for us, enough space to pull off the track and pitch a few tents. Asside from lanes there's an interesting dissused quarry at NY3162001691 but be careful no one falls in  Laughing I can tell you about some lanes to drive round there but I might not remember which ones will give you pin stripes.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great - thanks.

And a long weekend in September sounds interesting too  Wink

cheers
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon - found this on the Lake District web site:

Gatesgarth  Pass

I assume this is where you meant?  Do you know  if it's still open?  I assume 'yes'  Wink

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, AFAIK it's 'open' if you have a pass which get's you the combination to the locked gate that I mention wild camping by. Vehicles have to meet some criteria that I forget the details of to be issued a pass but one criteria is wheel base <= 100" which ruled our 80's out last year.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is where you going, I am jealous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmURWbrE0U

Looks like it could be fun.

Could you please take some video and post it so these guys can see how it's done? Wink
Surely if they locked the centre diff life would have been easier. Maybe front and back as well? (or traction control?) Seems there answer was to attack it faster.

Have fun...
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stile End isn't part of gatesgarth pass but it runs to the southern end and can be an interesting climb. IIRC there's a tight gateway on a turn just before that climb that would be interesting to reverse back through so you're fairly commited to making the climb if you go that way  Laughing Also IIRC the climb is going east to west, going west to east is a simple decent apart from the hairpin bend round the big rock and the tight turn through the gate at the bottom  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, did this happen? If so, any good pics / video?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - didn't get there unfortunately - stuck at work.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to have a wiz round the lakes on the 18th-20th this month. 2 passenger seats still empty at the moment leaving the west midlands late afternoon on the 18th, returning late on the 20th. Might be able to squeeze one more vehicle in the group but space is very tight where we camp. If Gary doesn't have to bail then we'll get you some pics of his 120 going up Stile End  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the vehicle will be back from the panelbeater by then - hope I don't have to take it staright back in again  Rolling Eyes   Laughing

Looking forward to it!
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could go too.  Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: