Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Does the 120 series D4D have a 12 or 24v starter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 18:40    Post subject: Does the 120 series D4D have a 12 or 24v starter? Reply with quote

Does the 120 series D4D have a 12 or 24v starter.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 18:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

12v. But two batteries in parallel not series, so you get a 12v whammy battery in effect.

LC
andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I thought, but wanted to check before I answered this post  http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101156&st=0&gopid=923563&#entry923563
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in 'which' magazine I think it was, that a car battery lasts on average 3 -4 years.  So my 6 year old LC4 is due two new ones?  Plus the wifes 4 year old corrolla?  Sad
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have read the post, Andy (on the other forum). I think that one of the reasons for having two batteries, is because the majority of LCs are actually autos. One thing that you can't do with an auto is bump start it. Having two batteries ensures a pretty much 100% reliable start. However, I think as we have all discovered, it tends to mask one of the batteries starting to fail and then it's too late. Despite the expense, I would always replace the pair, unless the failure was due to damage. I don't think that the draw on an LC for heated this that and the other is any more than it would be on a Mondeo, for example. It's essentially about having the umph to turn over a big engine. As you pointed out, the mechanic is definitely wrong. UK spec 120s are not 24 volt. The 24v 80s have a warning sticker under the bonnet and have a solenoid to do the switching. My buddy has a 2.4 Hilux. It's definitely 12v and has 2 batteries. But as for electronics, he's lucky to have a radio in it. There is nothing there to power. So I really think it is about starting, not like the chap who said it was about heated seats or whatever.

My shortie only has the one battery - but all UK shorties are manual. As there are some Prado autos about, it would be interesting to know if they have two batteries as a rule.

LC
4runner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

my longie auto FX-trim colorado only has the 1 battery (and only wiring for 1 too)
whereas my UK 4runner had 2

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you park on a hill then, heh heh.

LC
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two batteries are a belt and braces approach and will help when the weather gets cold, like where UKvette used to be in Scandanavia. Besides, maybe it's easier to fit two 'small' batteries than one big mother! Laughing
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the amp rating (CCA) is on the std batteries?  I've got batteries that I'm sure are after-market - have a big 'GS' on the side and a bunch of Japanese kanji on top and a sight-glass to check charge state, but that's it.

I'm also pretty sure the 'GS' wasn't put there specifically for me, but you never know  Wink  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Gary
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

All it gives in the handbook are quick and slow charge rates of 15A/5A respectively. No Ahr details. I'll have a butchers through my PDF technical stuff and see if there is anything. Back in a mo!
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, nothing there in all the technical stuff. Ask someone with a newish LC and see what was fitted by Toyo. Mine look to have both been changed and are both different.  Confused
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that they're about 650 aren't they?

LC
Bootlegger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Prado SWB auto only has one battery, where as my exLC11 2.4td had 2.
CCa of pseent battery is about 550cca it's one I used to have on my Dakar This will be changed out before the winter I'll be fitting 110amp Lumax.

Barry
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a second battery to my swb and I have a BIG battery as the main. That one is about 700 CCA and the aux is 650. So combined I have a big reserve. But as they got boiled, they are struggling a bit. I see a crunch coming and may go to a couple of Optimas if I can afford them. Got home after 2 weeks hol and with ignition on, the main battery was on the last led on the IBS system. It started first turn! I knocked it off and them put all the lights on until the battery was flat, then tried the crossover function on the mgt system to link in the aux, no problem. Turned over easily. If I really got caught, I suppose I could rip out the leisure batter from the boot and stick that in. Of course being manual, I could get someone to give me a shove. If my mgt system failed, I wonder if I could winch my truck in gear and give myself a bump start?????

LC Rolling Eyes
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
As you pointed out, the mechanic is definitely wrong. UK spec 120s are not 24 volt. The 24v 80s have a warning sticker under the bonnet and have a solenoid to do the switching. My buddy has a 2.4 Hilux. It's definitely 12v and has 2 batteries.

Open the bonnet of a 120 and look up. There is a sticker which warns these two batteries are connected in parallel and both must be disconnected.
Only just noticed the sticker a couple of days ago... Smile Maybe the mech who saws it's 24v was to short to read it? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: