4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Are Heavy Duty Shocks a must if I Put Heavy Duty Springs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ample

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 23:40    Post subject: Are Heavy Duty Shocks a must if I Put Heavy Duty Springs? Reply with quote

I find that my Landcruiser LC4 is a bit 'wallowy' - moves a bit from side to side with motorway driving.  The car has only done 32,000 miles.  I have spoken to various suppliers of heavy duty springs and shocks and am getting conflicting answers as follows:

Some say I MUST change the shocks to heavy duty ones if I was to go for stiffer springs while others say that my current original shocks will be fine.  I will get a 35mm to 50mm lift with the stiffer springs.

My shocks are in good condition as the car has not been abused or gone off-road as yet.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.  I am not planning on any major offroad trips as such and my car is not used for towing or carrying heavy loads.  

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 23:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCs have soft spring for the weight of the vehicle. Little sporty coupes have much firmer springs relative to their weight. There is a reason for this.

If you want to go off-road (that's why it's a 4X4) you are going to travel over rutted, pot holed roads, rocks and ridges. The soft springs give you a bearably smooth ride in these conditions plus allowing all 4 wheels to stay on the ground when the going gets particularly uneven.

The downside is that for road driving, the vehicle isn't as stable as the previously mentioned coupe.

If you fit stiffer springs, you will lose the smooth ride. The car will cope with a heavier load without sagging too much but this may not be what you want. The clever trick (IMHO) is to fit the best shock absorbers you can get (try Konis or Bilsteins). They will control the rolling and wobbling without destroying the off road ability or giving you a rough ride. The best shocks have adjusters in them so you can tune their settings to get the best setup for your use. However, they are expensive. A set of 4 will probably cost about £600.

If you are serious about getting the car lifted, fit the stiff springs and good shock absorbers to match. But don't complain if you don't like the results. The higher ride won't help the car's handling. You may have to get the front suspensions re-aligned as well if you don't want the tyres wearing badly because of the changed ride height.

A small warning. If you fit expensive shock absorbers and keep the standard springs but then decide to raise the ride height, you may find the shocks limit the wheel travel. Lifted suspension needs longer shock absorbers.

Willy
Ample

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:42    Post subject: Better Shocks or Stiffer Springs or Both Reply with quote

Hi Wandering Willy,

I hear what you are saying.

I actually bought the car as I was relocating to Kenya - and know that these cars are very popular and capable in Africa.  I was going to put a really good suspension then (probably OME's all round) - but now my move has been cancelled.

Ideally I do not want to lift the car.  If I can just have a stiffer ride I would enjoy it more for my current use...

I do like the LC4 very much.  It's now become more of a daily use school run, town car (unfortunately!).  Saying that - it does everything I want - carries loads of stuff on trips (non offroad so far), and the rear boot seats are a bonus with kids and passengers.

As you say - maybe just better shocks might be the clever option?!
120man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your vehicle fitted with TEMS (Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension-semi active suspension) and if so is it is doing what it should?

My vehicle is an LC3 with bog standard springs/shocks and has done 36,000 miles. Changed all shocks for OME and that made a huge difference but then I was already on my second set of Toyota rear shocks at 25,000 miles

Other thing you might want to consider is the tyres. Mine come equipped with Dunlop AT20's which were useless off road and not much cop on the road either. Changing to BFG's and running at 30psi minimum made a huge difference.
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I too need to add some of these Old Man Ears shocks to my list. my 120 is a tad OTT when it comes to roll. Gets boring on the roads around here....
Ample

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:18    Post subject: King Springs may be the answer! Reply with quote

I have now looked at various options and are considering fitting the standard height King Springs (Australian).  These are 25% stiffer than the original Toyota springs and will only give a 10mm to 20mm lift to the vehicle.

Now - the only problem is they have no UK distributors - which means they have to come in from France.  4 springs will cost EUROS €122 X 4 = €488 plus €62.19 for freight. Total would be : €550.19 all inclusive.

Anybody have any experience with using Ironman springs?  These will be a fair bit cheaper but will raise the vehicle by about 50mm and will cost £85 + VAT per pair.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:38    Post subject: Re: Better Shocks or Stiffer Springs or Both Reply with quote

Ample wrote:
Hi Wandering Willy,

I hear what you are saying.

I actually bought the car as I was relocating to Kenya - and know that these cars are very popular and capable in Africa.  I was going to put a really good suspension then (probably OME's all round) - but now my move has been cancelled.

Ideally I do not want to lift the car.  If I can just have a stiffer ride I would enjoy it more for my current use...

I do like the LC4 very much.  It's now become more of a daily use school run, town car (unfortunately!).  Saying that - it does everything I want - carries loads of stuff on trips (non offroad so far), and the rear boot seats are a bonus with kids and passengers.

As you say - maybe just better shocks might be the clever option?!

Hi Ample,

My LC3 has almost 220k miles, and has dropped 5mm all round.
Still all original springs and shocks.

I did consider a lift of 50mm, but decided I like the comfortable ride.
Instead, I will have all replacement Toyota OEM springs and shocks fitted, with a simple 25mm spacer.
This will keep the smooth ride quality, I have no wallowy drive at all, It runs very good.
So the 25mm or 30mm spacers will just lift me a little.

'vette
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're keen on King springs and Bilstein shockes, then please speak to Julian (on the forum) who can source stuff for you from aussie at probably as good or better price than you can get from France - he's definitiely worth speaking too re this, as it's his job to prep vehicles for off-road work, so is in a good position to advise.

I personally would choose OME over Ironman, simply because the local Ironman folk have not bothered to rspond to a request for pricing after 6 months, and the Ironman stuff has a reputation for harshness that OME or King's don't seem to have.

If going extensive overland stuff, I certainly wouldn't fit Toyota stuff again - too geared towards road use - spring thickness is down (comfort) and I reckon they won't last long on really harsh roads carrying a big load for an extended duration trip - just my opinion and 2c of course - each to their own  Laughing

I've had OME on my 80 before and they were fantastic - +50kg 50mm lift in the front, and +200kg 50mm at the back, and no harshness at all unloaded, and fantastic with a load - but air helpers would have been bebficial at the back  Wink  

Cheers
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing of the 80 but with the 50mm lift, was there much more (or less?) roll?
On the roads around here, my 120 has a lot or roll. There is fair amount when cornering but uneven roads seem far worse. When a dip catches the one side then the other you all over the place. Wife + baby do not like (read: permission to get new suspension Smile )

Better suspension would help with this? Would the better suspension + a raise negate and it would be back to as it is now?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err - umm - I'm no engineer BUT it sounds like you've got shock problems and they're either worn or shot.  New shocks will sort that.  New tyres with a better sidewall will help too.  Old Man Emu coils, shocks and decent tyres and you'll be driving a whole new beast  Laughing   You'll need stiffer springs to offset the height increase - I think  Embarassed

Try not to go the Arctic Trucks route  Shocked  Laughing
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
I know nothing of the 80 but with the 50mm lift, was there much more (or less?) roll?
On the roads around here, my 120 has a lot or roll. There is fair amount when cornering but uneven roads seem far worse. When a dip catches the one side then the other you all over the place. Wife + baby do not like (read: permission to get new suspension Smile )

Better suspension would help with this? Would the better suspension + a raise negate and it would be back to as it is now?

Crispin,

All else being equal (big assumption for starters  Very Happy ), more height = more roll, no escaping the physics. This of course can be partly offset by firming up the suspension. Given your clearance for new suspension, I would seize that opportunity and if it doesn't fix the problem, at least you've got new upgraded suspension!  Cool
At the most basic level, the anti-roll bars (ARBs) are designed to counter body roll, so it would also be worth checking that all is well with those on your LC. If the bushes are shot, then the ARBs might be sloppy and allow more roll than they should.
I think Gary's points are 100% valid - if your shocks and/or springs are going soft, then that will accentuate the roll and there's only so much the ARBs can do to counter this. Seems strange for the suspension on a relatively new and presumably unabused LC to be going "pap" though...

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out for a drive and suspect it was just me. There are a couple of roads around here which cause it to roll nicely. (badly? ) but I am sure it's actually just the height of the thing. My LR was not as bad (still bad mind you) but this is a taller, heavier truck. Like you say, it's bound to have the roll.
I don't think it's worn shocks. There is no bounce. Shock does it's job and then returns to where it was. not much up and down movement. I had a ford sierra (only a 1.6, it werent the free litre street eater Wink) with badly worn shocks. Actually, it may have been worse than the LC Smile

I'll have a look at the ARB's (when I find them and work out what I am looking for). Still, it's an excuse to get some other suspension. Also, like Gary said long ago - get rid of the dunflops. They still "new" and only have about 2000 miles on them.

things to do <> available funds  Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: