Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Daz's Aussie 120 Prado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 16:56    Post subject: Daz's Aussie 120 Prado Reply with quote

Few pics of the rig. Its a 2004 GXL with the 1KZ TD motor. I bought it a couple of years ago from a bloke who had done a lap of Oz, then sold it when he got back. He was putting the for sale sign on it on his front lawn as I was driving past......and the rest is history....

Packed & ready for my trip last year to Karijini in NW West Aust

Onboard mains power for charging cameras, laptops, etc while away from it all

I never travel without one of these. Great for overtaking road trains, and talking to whoever you are travelling with

River crossing (Donnelly River SW WA)

I like to be able to see where Im going........and the Skippys are quite big around here

At Karijini, about 1200kms north of Perth, 450kms inland. Long way from no where, but near here..........

Yeagerup Dunes

Daz

2004 TD 120 GXL Prado
2006 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
2012 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 16:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks well mate, that roo bar's a stonker!

Karijini looks beautiful, next I'm over I'll be doing the Savannah Way from Cairns and diverting to go through the Kimberly. No Doubt I'll finish off at my Aunts place in Kalamunda nr Perth so I might take aim for Karijini on the way through Smile

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that that's the Toyota Sovereign bar up front?  The one that can give problems, according to the LCOOL tech site?  What did you do to address the water ingress issue?

Cheers
Daz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
I take it that that's the Toyota Sovereign bar up front?  The one that can give problems, according to the LCOOL tech site?  What did you do to address the water ingress issue?

Cheers

Yep, its the Toyota Soveriegn bar.
I havent had any water issues, as my driving hasnt really taken me into any high risk events.
I feel some of the water ingress issues relate to driver behaviour, and more common problem for the petrol heads. When its screaming, the 4 litre petrol apparently sucks air a lot quicker that the diesel ever will, and appparently the intake is positioned a bit better for the Turbo Diesel.

Its not often I would even be driving through water 150mm deep. (It doesnt rain that much here..)

I would have no hesitation in fitting a snorkel should I ever decide on trips that will involve river crossings, but at the moment I dont see any problem. The Prado sometimes stays home when I go bush, and I take the Dual Cab 4x4 Hilux to areas where I might expect to knock the vehicle about a bit.

Daz

2004 TD 120 GXL Prado
2006 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
2012 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great looking truck Daz - x2 on the Roo bar Wink

Great photos - you guys have a beautiful country over there.

Cheers
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip, stunning spot. On my list of places to go, as well as NZ and Taz.  Cool
Daz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last posts the Prado has had a couple of mods.

I recently did a trip to Mt Augustus in central Western Australia. Due to the remoteness, and travelling alone with the whole family on board, I decided it was time to upgrade the suspension, and fit dual batteries.

The suspension choice was easy.
OME 884s and OME 895s with the new Nitro shocks are about 50mm above std, so taking into account the sag, it lifted about 90mm. Old Man Emu is highly regarded here, and a mate of mine works at ARB, so it was an easy choice.

The dual battery was needed to power my camper when we were travelling to Coral Bay, but more importantly as a 2nd starter when travelling remote with my Engel, Power Inverter, camera and phone chargers, air compressor etc.
I used a Redarc battery isolater, which ensure the crank battery is charged first, and the above mentioned accessories are running of the spare when we are camped overnight.

A few pics of our recent trip to Mt Augustus

The trip was about 700kms thru station country in the upper Gascoyne area. Its all dirt road, with a lot of it made from small sharp granite. Its very hard on tyres.
The rest is red dirt

We saw 2 x cars on the way there, and three on way back, of which one was broken down. An old couple in a pathfinder had a flat, so we stopped and helped them. This is very remote country, with no phone reception etc. The only chatter heard on the UHF was mustering choppers on some of the stations as we got closer to some of the homesteads.

Prado stands up a lot taller now

Sphinifex

Lunch at river crossing

Mt Augustus

You dont want to know the price, believe me. Pleased to have 180 litre tank

Aboriginal rock art

The Aboriginal rock is very unspoilt

Its worth noting that when we went thru here 4 months ago, the rainfall for the year had been about 10mm!!
Since then, there have been a few cyclones, and they have had approximately 800mm, which has been good for the pastrol areas, but it isolates these areas for up to 2 - 3 months.

Daz

2004 TD 120 GXL Prado
2006 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
2012 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz,
Nice looking truck
The bar looks good also.

How do you rate the BFG A/T ?
I see you do a lot of gravel driving, any punctures?
What pressure do you run in them?

'vette
Daz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vette

I consider the BFGs the best tyre I have had. This set have done about 80k, and while 2 need replacing soon, the other 2 will go about 95k.

No punctures yet, although I do drive to the conditions, and dont seem to go to places where sticks will stake them. Rotate them every 10k. I dont do a lot of off-road, but when I do, it gets put through their paces.

I generally run
40 psi on highway unloaded
44 psi if loaded or towing
24 psi approx for Desert roads, gravel, & off road. Depends on how loaded, and I also drop max speed accordingly

Beach driving depends on the situation, but usually from 16 psi down to 8 psi. Some beaches here are very soft with very steep entry & exit points, plus if the sand is hot, you need to go to very low pressures.

Daz

2004 TD 120 GXL Prado
2006 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
2012 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: