2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Winch and Recovery Training

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Club events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for aranging that James, filled in some blank spots and showed me which bits I'm doing right  Very Happy

Hope your truck's ok bigyun, I don't think anyone else wanted to be in the hot seat if something failed  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you all had fun.  And I'm STILL in the office - don't you just looove recalcitrant databases ???  Crying or Very sad
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Hey BY, looks like a good day.
How's that steel rope looking. Ready for a synthetic one yet?  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

C

Well after pulling the cable up the hill I was sorely tempted with Plasma robe, then one of the trainers showed me his 'last season' rope. Admittedly he used it for competitions and he reckons that he only gets 6 or7 events from 1 rope not even a hole season. It had doubled in size and cut to pieces. He was saying that the competition boys would get  3 or 4 seasons out of one steel rope. Also there is the money thing £200 for the plasma compared to £50 for the steel.

So I will be sticking with the steel for the moment but after finding a cross wind crush in my cable I will be replacing it with a new reverse wound cable.

Bigyun
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Thanks for aranging that James, filled in some blank spots and showed me which bits I'm doing right  Very Happy

Hope your truck's ok bigyun, I don't think anyone else wanted to be in the hot seat if something failed  Laughing

The truck is in good shape thanks for looking after her Wildsmith, and thankyou for spotting me back through the woods, those Land rover 90s are y if that was anything to go by...... the trainers kept telling me there was loads of room through the trees Shocked

By the way did anyone get a picky of everybody pushing on side of my truck to keep her away from that tree. Very Happy  Very Happy

Bigyun
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after pulling the cable up the hill I was sorely tempted with Plasma robe, then one of the trainers showed me his 'last season' rope. Admittedly he used it for competitions and he reckons that he only gets 6 or7 events from 1 rope not even a whole season.

Yeah, but that's competition. There is no comparison. I might deploy my rope two or three times per year. I have a spare brand new Warn rope if you are interested. I certainly will NEVER use it.

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the plasma12 rope on my old 80 series hydraulic winch mid 2004 and AFAIK it is still doing fine for its new owner now. I only used it for vehicle recoveries perhaps a few times a year at most but it got a lot of use pulling trees out at our last house  Laughing I'm assuming this stuff on the goldfish is as good but we should have asked Jason what brand that rough rope was because maybe the plasma12 is just really good stuff.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys I am being slowly persuaded to go for the plasma, that wire rope was dammed heavey at a 100 feet Shocked . I shall take a look at the plasma 12 rope. And yes we should of asked which make that rope the trainer had, then at least we would know which to avoid Laughing  Laughing

Bigyun
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is Dyneema. From Goodwinch.

C
Pugwash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Hope you all found the weekend useful- you should all have received an email with the winch calcuations on it by now. If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to ask and i'll pass them on to James and his team.

Would be really grateful if you could provide some feedback on the weekend by email- both what worked well for you and what didn't work so well (the weather doesn't count!)

Am just putting together some info about winch ropes- i did a LOT of research on ropes a while ago when i did a group buy of 9,000 feet of the stuff!

Cheers

Jim
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigyun, a bit off topic, but can I ask where you got the extra bulb holders from to put your lights up in the rear pillars? I had a spare one so I have done my indicators, but I need a couple of brake bulb holders too. Been to a scrappy today. Wasn't interested in selling bits? Huh, go figure. There are some bits on the net, but did you go to Mr T fort them. If you did, but the come with the block and the connectors?

Looking at the pictures on here reminded me that you'd done this.

Chris
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Bigyun, a bit off topic, but can I ask where you got the extra bulb holders from to put your lights up in the rear pillars? I had a spare one so I have done my indicators, but I need a couple of brake bulb holders too. Been to a scrappy today. Wasn't interested in selling bits? Huh, go figure. There are some bits on the net, but did you go to Mr T fort them. If you did, but the come with the block and the connectors?

Looking at the pictures on here reminded me that you'd done this.

Chris

Hey LC,

Yes I went to see Mr T for them, I got the lenses and holders all in one. I got the holders as a complete rear light cluster harness ie, 3 holders, wiring and connector block as one. The connector block clips straight into the one that is already in your car....but.....not all the wires do what you think. As you know different specs of truck use different circuit combinations there was a bit of re wiring needed to get all the correct feeds to the correct place. There are so many different combo's I would be here all night explaining the different combo's.

Mine has Stop/Tail, reverse and indicators in the upper clusters (both sides). The bumper has (with the use of a couple of switching relays) Stop/Tail/Fog and indicators. I had a long chat with the Toyota Tech/MOT tester regarding the legality of having the fog's incorporated into the lower Stop/Tail light and he was fine with it and it passed it's MOT with that set up.

Basically you are looking for the Prado combination from Europe. What I did was to go to my friendly Mr T dealer explained what I wanted and they ordered it.  In fact we ordered 5 different part numbers and they just sent the ones I didn't want back with no charge to me Very Happy  Very Happy Mr T only orders from chassis or part numbers, I just asked the girl (who was very helpful) to look up any customer that had a Prado and we used that chassis number to access the parts list, or you could get the part numbers off of toyodiy and use them as a base. As I said there are loads of combinations so if using toyodiy don't use your truck as a base try to be as vague as possible with vehicle type and get as many combo's as possible. And as I said if you do order the wrong ones Mr T will send them back with no charge.

If you go for the the full cluster and lamps like I have I would be happy to come and give you a hand wiring them in if you want.

If you want the part numbers of the ones I used then let me know and I will dig out the invoice and send you the part numbers.

Bigyun
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buddy, no all I need is two plastic lamp holders. I have done all the wiring etc. I don't need any new lamp clusters, I just cut out the blanking holes in the std units. The lamp holders just twist straight in like the originals. Having made a new bumper with completely new lights in, I had to cut the end off the original loom anyway so I took the opportunity to make a pukka job of wiring in a new custom made loom section for tow bar, new lights and the repeaters above all on waterproof connectors. As I smashed one lens at Toms Farm, I had one single holder that I have used for the indicator in the reversing lamp lens. But now I need two tail / stop holders.

I went to a scrap yard but they weren't able to help. They don't need to be cruiser ones, just something with a flange on that I can stick in the light cluster. I think I said the other day that I have used orange LED cluster lamps in the clear reversing lenses to make indicators. The fog lights has stayed where it is, the reveresing light has gone into the bumper but isn[t a legal requirement anyway and the side / stop and indicators are still in the bumper as well in their generally original locations. So in reality I have not changed the layout of the lights - just added ones into the spaces.

C
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see LC, before you go rushing of to Mr T to buy them (which they do do) wait till I get home and I will check what I have in my spare electrical bits box. I know I have some holders in there but can't remember if they are Stop/Tail.......let me check and if they are you are welcome to them and I will post them to you.

Bigyun
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top bloke!

Still have to get around to making MkII of the diff lock guard. I have some material that will get me started. It's the top of a gas bottle. The shroud is the same profile as the guard!!!

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Club events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: