4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Project: On Board Air - using factory A/C and EGT gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom cruiser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:43    Post subject: Project: On Board Air - using factory A/C and EGT gauge Reply with quote

I finally managed to finished my two projects and to take pictures of the final result.

Since my condenser leaked and I don't use A/C I decided to use the factory compressor for on board air. I followed the instructions posted on IH8MUD forum with part-list included:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/271674-convert-fj62-c-oba.html

First the pipes the original had to be cut and the new air pipes (blue) connected

then the oiler and filter (two units on top of the picture) were connected to the low pressure side and oil removal filter to the high pressure side.

Regarding the EGT gauge I have completely remove the EGR valves - blanking the top holes and placing the EGT probe in bottom hole  so I'm measuring the EGT pre-turbo. I have added the earth-strap as Julian suggested - and I hope I did it right (Julian if you are reading this post - can you confirm it  please).
I have done some testing and the max. temperatures I'm getting is 600 C (1112 F) in fifth gear on the highway uphill - with max. speed. On fast acceleration I can exceed 500 C (932 F) but most of the time I'm bellow 400 C (752 F).
Any comments on my EGT readings would be more then welcome !!!

I have purchased the EGT probe and gauge from:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=69
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=19

Regards,
    Tomaz

--------------------------------------------
96 HDJ 80 (manual, 1HD-FT (24V))
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Brett

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomaz,

I'm very interested in how you've removed the EGR valves, looks a much better option than just disconnecting the hose, when I did my valve clearances recently, when I removed the inlet manifold it was incredible how much crud had built up in there! Shocked

Did you cut the blanking plates yourself or purchase from somewhere?

Have you got any lights on the dash after removal?

Has it made any difference to performance or feel of engine?

cheers

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 0:05    Post subject: Re: Project: On Board Air - using factory A/C and EGT gauge Reply with quote

tom cruiser wrote:

I have done some testing and the max. temperatures I'm getting is 600 C (1112 F) in fifth gear on the highway uphill - with max. speed. On fast acceleration I can exceed 500 C (932 F) but most of the time I'm bellow 400 C (752 F).
Any comments on my EGT readings would be more then welcome !!!

Regards,
    Tomaz

--------------------------------------------
96 HDJ 80 (manual, 1HD-FT (24V))

Tomaz

Comparing your figures to mine your EGT's seem a slightly low for the situations you describe. Could be that your fuelling is set on the lean side maybe but more probably due to the siting of the probe.

Good use of a redundant AC compressor though!

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
tom cruiser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the blanking plates - they are custom made - actually a friend of mine who is a producer of exhaust systems has made them for me. If you are interested I can ask him if he can make some more.
My EGR was blocked before by just disconnecting the vacuum lines (as Julian propose which is by far the simplest way ) and there were no warning lights on the dashboard at that time. Even now when the EGR is completely removed  everything works ok. But as I said I have no idea about performances since it is blocked for quite some time.

The main reason why i decided to put EGT gauge was that after replacing the fuel pump with a new one and the guys at the diesel shop open the fuel delivery screw almost to full and the performance was great but also there was also a lot of black smoke ... then after following discussions here on this forum I realized that I should turn it down and now it still smokes on heavy acceleration but most important now I can get some idea what the temperatures are like - to me they look ok but I wanted to get some second opinion on that from some other guys who installed EGT gauge. But I guess you are right - the measurements are position dependent even pre-turbo - but I have no idea what might be the differences - although I wouldn't expect significant differences (my guess would be max 50 degrees ?).

AC compressor - that is the idea I got in Libya last year - our guide he was using the A/C for compressor for inflating the tires but without any additional gadget (no lubrication, air filters etc...) . He just switched it off when it got too hot ... i tested it on 4 265/75 R 16 tires (i don't remember the timing) but there was absolutely no heating issues and it really works well. I will be able to give you more info after the real field test during the trip to Algeria, Mali and Burkina faso in December this year.

Regards,  
     Tomaz
Brett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Would be interested in a set of blanking plates if your friend is up for making more, pm me price etc.

Cheers
Brett

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
tom cruiser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

brett you have a pm.

Regards,
    Tomaz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: