Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

wheel spacers & wide wheels

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curlyearly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 20:52    Post subject: wheel spacers & wide wheels Reply with quote

Just a note really for thoser who have considered the same.

Have recently fitted some 30mm (per wheel) wheel spacers. Acquired a high quality set for about £160.

Have read that wheel spacers put extra pressure on wheel bearings. Maybe so, but then so does towing a caravan or regularly running with extra passengers.

The spacers helped the wheels to fill the arches better although they are still flush of the  wheel arches in that they do not protrude.

I drove the vehicle up a steep enbankment to see if they fouled the arches. The answer is no. Easily a hands thickness anywhere.

So this would bring me to believe (but I have not tried it yet) that you could fit 31x15x12.5 tyres (300mm wide) without the need for modification (suspension lift). Has anyone tried this?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 20:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

AFRIKANZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

am running 33x12.50xr15 on OEM set up. No spacers.

curlyearly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 22:05    Post subject: Rubbing Reply with quote

Hi

Have you had any problems with the tyres rubbing the arches using the larger diameter 33" wheels.....I was thinking of going with 35"

Thanks
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

2" lift and 35/12.5/16s with no rubbing at all.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
curlyearly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 22:34    Post subject: Other please Reply with quote

How noisy are the tyres?

They look like Mud Terrains, I was thinking of All Terrains, probably Cooper ST's.

Is there really no rubbing, even under axle articulation?

Thanks
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are a rock crawing tyre, Maxiss Creepy Crawler but quite good in deep mud.

Not to bad on the road, abut the same as a BFG MT and not as noisy as the Simex copys I had on my 110 landrover.

No rubbing that I can tell.

Paul

curlyearly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31    Post subject: Suspension Lift Reply with quote

Hello again and thanks for earlier replies.

Out of interest which suspension lift have you had
YK55

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_Humphreys wrote:
2" lift and 35/12.5/16s with no rubbing at all.

Paul

Hi Paul, did you fit caster correction bushes? Any other problems? I've just ordered the Old Man Emu 2" lift kit  Cool

Andy.
YK55

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:17    Post subject: Re: Other please Reply with quote

curlyearly wrote:
How noisy are the tyres?

They look like Mud Terrains, I was thinking of All Terrains, probably Cooper ST's.

Is there really no rubbing, even under axle articulation?

Thanks

I fitted Cooper Discoverer Sts last week, 285 75 16s, no significant increase in road noise and I had General UHPs on before!

Andy.
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

need to regurgitate this thread! working towards prepping 'cruiser for one of local companys' Pyrenees or Tunisia trip nothing too extreme but will have some moderate loading on roof. Of course suspension will need some attention but thinking of VX centre of gravity when duning. Especially backwards duning when the front slips away a little (gulp)

if I move my legs out 30mm each side that makes a difference! maximum load on roof would be 60kg so there is a formula out there so .. will 30mm spacers lower COG to make them worth buying (£150)
punk_sy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFRIKANZ wrote:

hi mate just wondering how the tyres your running perform offroad? My bros thinking of getting a set of 35s of the same!
x_shaun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

punk_sy wrote:
AFRIKANZ wrote:

hi mate just wondering how the tyres your running perform offroad? My bros thinking of getting a set of 35s of the same!

what wheels are they on your beast they look mint do you have any suspension lift
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

His tyres are KL71 and I think he had a lift.

Paul

fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

that cruiser looks to have wheels with great offset compared to the standard alloy or steel toyota wheel simulating spacers. You could go to that steel rims maker that makes Mach spokes steels for offroad use and you can specify the offset but cheaper to get spacers if they have efficiency of improvement of COG over cost .. if cost is to be considered at all when you look at the FrogIsland wreck for sale on fleabay
punk_sy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of these a place near me got an e bay shop same tyres and wheels i think! Not bad prices aswell!

http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/33-12-50-x-15-KUMHO-KL71-Mud-Terrain-Wheel-and-Tyres-x4_W0QQitemZ280322747279QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash=item414489ab8f

Also can buy the wheels seperate.

http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/15-x-10-Steel-DEEP-DISH-JAPANESE-6-Stud-Wheels-X-4_W0QQitemZ190333148807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET?hash=item2c50bd5e87

cheers simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: