Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4.2 amazon cutting out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben8184

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 22:37    Post subject: 4.2 amazon cutting out Reply with quote

Hi, iv had my x reg amazon 4.2 for a month of so now (after rolling my 80 series)  and i am very happy with it! but it has developed a fault while driving along.
id be driving along at 70 or so, the engine coughs and splutters, the engine management light comes on and the engine dies. the first time i Pulled off the road and tried to re-start, nothing, turns over but won't start. leave it for 10 seconds and the engine starts and the light goes off. Drive for about 5/10 mins and the same thing happens again.

I took it to my main dealer in Ipswich (for a laugh) to see if they could through some light on the subject. They played with it for half hour and then told me it was the injection pump at fault.
if i would like it done £4227 inc vat, they could do it in a couple of days and do i want to book it in now..... erhhhhhhhh....... no thanks!
but they didn't charge me for the time they spent on it, which was a bonus!

Has anyone had this same problem? Is it the pump? Is there a way of fixing it?

Im a heavy plant/diesel fitter by trade, but diagnosis of this sort of thing is a bit beyond me.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Thanks, Ben
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 22:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to any good denso diesel repair place and they should be able to help , it would seem to be the pump or one of the sensors in the pump , however its worth just checking every wire and multi plug first , I'm a great believer in eliminating the cheap simple things first - a can of electrical cleaner , a good torch and a few hrs could well be time well spent.
The one issue I've heard of is a fault in a sensor on the pump and fuel tracking back down the loom into the ECU . Can you smell diesel inside you car ? ( probably not because you are like me and used to the smell  Smile )
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is pretty obvious and you have probably checked already, but fit a new fuel filter and make sure that the fuel tank is breathing OK.

What I mean is that air can get into the tank as the engine takes fuel out. If you open the filler cap and there is a big whoosh of air then this may be restricting the flow of fuel into the engine. Similarly with the fuel filter.

Willy
freddie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be your spiel valve in the pump take the pump cover off and check all the electrics on top of the screw in sensors
the speil valve i think is the last one on the right normally if its faulty the bakerlite plastcs etc will be melted
i had this problem a few years ago and was quoted £3000 to replace the whole pump
i replaced the valve myself for £200
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben

Did you sort out the problem in the end?  If so what was it?

I've had a similar problem but now the truck won't run at all!  Previously it was shutting down at the most convenient times.  I replaced the filter, it all primes ok, but after taking off all of the electrical plugs and then refitting it has failed to start at all.  There is definitely fuel on the flow side of the filter (between filter and diesel pump), there is some fuel going back to the tank on the return, but with one of the six pipe nuts cracked off at the rear of the pump there is no sign of fuel with the engine being turned over... so nothing getting to the injectors.  

Could do OBD diags as the car is pre OBD (old manual diags under the bonnet near the air filter).  I have though managed to measure the resistance on the Timing Control Valve (One of the bits of wizardry on the injector pump) which should measure 10 - 14 ohms is only measuring 3 Confused

I'd be keen to find out where you are with your truck  Cool
Best regards

Nathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: