2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Interior cargo light - 20 minutes, now with Superbright LEDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aroscow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 14:37    Post subject: Interior cargo light - 20 minutes, now with Superbright LEDs Reply with quote

Wanted some more light at the back.

Read on Iha8mud that there is wiring in the back for the Cruisers that dont have rear seats.

If you remove the rubber weather strip and take a peak inside the lining of the roof you will see on the left (passenger) side the wiring plug (not sure its on the later trucks but was on my 1994).

So, acquired an interior light from a breakers (cheers Stef), cut a small hole in the roof lining behind the bulb area, made 2 holes for screws (no drill, but I spent 2 days with Julian at Overland Cruisers last week and learned how useful a hammer could be - cheers Julian)...

If you choose the angle carefully, whilst there is no fitting bracket, it fits pretty flush to the roof lining.

Pulled a screw from each of the existing bulb holders for now (must remember to complete this project).

20 minutes later we have light at the back - and the best bit is Mr T already wired it to come on when you open the cargo door.

Easy DIY fix.

The wiring ('scuse blurred image - mobile phone)

And the completed article

Just added superbright LEDs (via a seller in Hong Kong on eBlag).

5 minutes to fit and many times brighter, and a cleaner light. Photos are of my interior light (standard bulb still in) and the cargo light with the LED fitted.

Well worth the effort. We'll have to see how well bulbs last - they were about £12 for the 2. Have just ordered 2 more - one for the middle light, and the other for the map light.

Last edited by aroscow on Sun Nov 29, 2009 0:44; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 14:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them spare plugs when fitting my CB aerial.

New job for the project list.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
aroscow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the 32 led bulbs in each 3 interior lights, plus the front map light.  Amazing what a difference it has made now.

My new 90/110 w headlight bulbs arriving tomorrow. So the outside and the inside should be pretty well lit.

Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks excellent mate Very Happy

Now I have the dog guard in the back of mine it's like the black hole of Calcutta.
I will have to get round to doing what you have done.
aroscow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - i think you will be really surprised at how much more light you get.

Thanks also for the heads up on the headlights - fitted them at 7 this morning - what a difference. And how cheap, and fast delivery!!  Ended up changing the separate main beam on mine too. Bet that will load up the alternator a bit! Now just got to wait until dark to go play...
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a price like that you can afford to blow a few before the more expensive kits start to look good.

I have been using them for ages and think I have only had two blow. I fitted two of my spare ones to the wife's 90 too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: