Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

just got a 120; couple questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fast but dim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 19:11    Post subject: just got a 120; couple questions Reply with quote

hi, just got a 120 d4d  manual 120 lc4, 53 plate, picking it up this week!

will it have:

satnav.... didn't notice any screens on test drive, but should have it according to spec

rear difflock: tetsted the transfer box difflock switch near gearlever, but does it have a rear cross axle locker?

how are the difflocks activated? electric / air /magic? and do they work in the same way as those on a defender, ie lock centre diff if traction will be lost, lock rear when it's worse conditions

i'm used to driving a defender, so wasn't really looking at the other options, i was just amazed to be dry and warm Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 19:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! You'll enjoy.

Satnav is voice with the screen on the radio showing you intersections. Very basic but better than nothing.
No rear diff lock as standard although you can get a OEM locker. Gary picked one up on e bay.

The centre locker, the switch you pressed, should make the orange light on the dash flash then solid when it's locked.
AFAIK, the locker is electric.

There is no locker on the front or rear and relies on A-TRAC (good ol' locking each wheel as it slips.)

Enjoy...
fast but dim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

ta: use the old style satnav on a works vehicle, and i've never needed a rear diff lock in my defender which will go anywhere, it's got no t.c. either.
rear diff lock would've been nice, but tbh i suspect i'd never have used it.

why'd they stop putting rear lockers on? iirc they were on the colarado.

ps, i need roofbars to go on the rails, what do you recommend?

ta ian
wooly0000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome i,m new to LC and bought the LC3 , brilliant car, been outstanding in the snow, tows like a locomotive, economical great family car, enjoy it!!! the site is great and everyone is really helpfull. It will be grate around Rivington !!!

Ive only got great things to say and the wife drives it, so they must be ok!!!!!
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sure what the Colorado (90) came with. Pretty sure it was standard with a rear locker though. Someone else will jump in I am sure.

As for having the rear locker, I think it was Wildsmith who said once "It's nice if you really want to give it some wellie" Smile

Why they stop putting lockers on? Cost. Most people who buy a 120 would not use it for anything more than today's snow. TC be a lot cheaper Sad

As for roof bars / rails, I think Gary has bought some for his tent. He might be able to offer some advice.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

LC3 came with a rear locker. Electric. Same as the 90 Colorado did. Idea is that if you have tracky control, you don't need a locker - and if you did, it would make life difficult for the reverse ABS computer I guess.
fast but dim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

ta for all the advice, i've had a defender for a couple years, used it for p&p and laning, and done an off road driving course ( money well spent ), and a lr experience day ( freebie,also very good)

makes sense to drop the locking rear diff if you've got T.C.

i assume the centre difflock works the same as lr: ie splits the drive 50/50 to front and rear, and T.C kicks in if you get spin on any wheel and helping you out of cross axles situations?

i cant wait to give the LC a go. My landy mates go laning round n.lancs and cumbria, i'll have to see if i'm still welcome Laughing  I'll be up for any laning in the nw with the crew on here!

Another question Embarassed

can i use a hi lift jack on my LC as standard, ie are there suitable jacking points? i suspect not

thanks for all the replies, i know i would have to spend hours  trying to find the answers on my own.

ian
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really the only way to lift a std 120 with a Highlift is to use their wheel hook. Which is fine unless you want to change a wheel! Plastic all round. Fit rock sliders, winch bumper, rear receiver - yes. I have a HL for my 90. Never really understood the attraction. They are a must have gadget for 4x4s so it seems. I think that they have limited real application.

C
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 120 is permanent 4 wheel drive (50/50 I assume?), locking the CD does just that, locks it. Even with it open, you still have drive to all 4 wheels.  The TC is as you described. Just catches the wheel spin. It has no way though to stop front to back difference, hence the locker.

As for playing, why not come along to the Salisbury plain weekend? (http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7225) You can drive around without ear defenders on now... Smile
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 23:27    Post subject: Re: just got a 120; couple questions Reply with quote

fast but dim wrote:
hi, just got a 120 d4d  manual 120 lc4, 53 plate, picking it up this week!

will it have:

satnav.... didn't notice any screens on test drive, but should have it according to spec

rear difflock: tetsted the transfer box difflock switch near gearlever, but does it have a rear cross axle locker?

how are the difflocks activated? electric / air /magic? and do they work in the same way as those on a defender, ie lock centre diff if traction will be lost, lock rear when it's worse conditions

i'm used to driving a defender, so wasn't really looking at the other options, i was just amazed to be dry and warm Wink

/
/
Hi

I am not sure why yours dont have a read diff lock.
My  LC3,   '' 05 '' has rear diff lock and center diff lock.
And they are originals, not an extra add on.
The rear diff lock can only be activated when in low ratio, thats to say, with the smaller of the 2 levers '' all the way forward ''
Then you are given the option to lock the rear diff.
The center diff can be locked any time, simply by moving the smaller lever to  ''HL ''

When in low ratio, I find it best to ''lock out 1st gear ''
The kick from 1st   into 2nd  is in my opinion, to fierce, and to pull away in 2nd, is more than enough.

'vette

good purchase by the way.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Just noticed, you have the ''1 in a million'' manuals
There is no ''lock out for 1st gear''

'vette
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

'vette - think it was only the LC3 that came with the rear locker. Mine (LC4) and Gary's (LC5) do not. Sad Chris's LC3 also had one.

Not sure about the "levers" you talking about but all I have is the gear lever (mine's the manual) and the H/L lever which only has H / N / L.
As for locking the CD, that is a push button (electric) under the ashtray / nest to the, cough, seat warmers Wink No levers for that?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

LC3 didn't have any trickery. Manual CDL and turn dial real locker. As I said - just like the Colorado. Useful, where else do you hang your takeaway!

C
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast but dim wrote:
t
i cant wait to give the LC a go. My landy mates go laning round n.lancs and cumbria, i'll have to see if i'm still welcome Laughing  I'll be up for any laning in the nw with the crew on here!

ian

Well there is no shortage of great guys on here to go ''laning with''
you may have see our last day out in the snow.

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7147&highlight=

What a great time we all had.

I know there is a lot of chat chat with LC an LR, but we are all good mates at the end of the day.

'vette
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
LC3 didn't have any trickery. Manual CDL and turn dial real locker. As I said - just like the Colorado. Useful, where else do you hang your takeaway!

C

.Yes LC,
Spot on there, , , as usual,
The LC3  =  Basic mechanicals that did the job very well.

proper coily springs, and a proper rear locker.

'vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: