4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC4 >> LC5 Radio Sat NAV Upgrade Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyland101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 17:53    Post subject: LC4 >> LC5 Radio Sat NAV Upgrade Project Reply with quote

Shocked  Horror I hear you all say. Well I have always wanted to upgrade/replace the *beep* Radio/Sat Nav that the LC4 comes with with the unit from the LC5's.

Well this week I managed to aquire the Sat Nav / Radio combination plus the amp, cd shuttle unit, and voice activate DVD unit and the subb speaker for the boot area, and will attempt to replace / install the whole lot. The only yhing that I don't have is the microphone (I have no idea where that would go anyway), but that's a minor detail. Not too fussed if the voice activate potion of the sat nav does not work.

Now I have no idea if this will work but I think it's worth a go, and if all fails the bits can go back on e bay!.

So I have started this thread to keep track of my progress and I will hopefully be adding pics as I go.

More to follow
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 18:02    Post subject: Re: LC4 >> LC5 Radio Sat NAV Upgrade Project Reply with quote

Cyland101 wrote:
Shocked  Horror I hear you all say. Well I have always wanted to upgrade/replace the *beep* Radio/Sat Nav that the LC4 comes with with the unit from the LC5's.

The only thing that I don't have is the microphone (I have no idea where that would go anyway), but that's a minor detail. Not too fussed if the voice activate potion of the sat nav does not work.

Don't think there's a microphone, unless you've got one from a model with built-in bluetooth for hands-free.  I certainly don't have a mic on mine (well, not that I've found, anyway).

But then that's one owners manual that I think the technical writer was drunk during authoring, because it's pages of weird stuff ...  so I haven't read it all yet  Wink
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Crikey man.  Cool Fair play to you on that one. That's a project and a half. There's more to the audio than the boot speaker. Each door has at least 2 speakers also. Anyway, is it from a latish model as my sat nav has no voice activation? Maybe yours is from a Bluetooth equipped car. Lucky you if it is. Anyway, I have an LC5, as has Gary Stockton, so please shout if I can help.

The audio sysyem on the LC5 is pretty good actually, better than I was expecting at the time.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite like to hear the 150 LC5s sound system - 17 speakers  Laughing   Can you imagine wandering through a tunnel and hearing that lot - you'd be forgiven for expecting to see Donald Sutherland and a tank coming towards you Laughing  Shocked
Cyland101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am sure I will need some help on this one. By some strange co-incedence Crispin on these forums lives in the same small village as myself and he has kindly offered his help (and I guess laughter).

The unit came out of a 2005 LC5 so not sure if it's a bluetooth one or not (I am guessing not). Not sure about speakers, was hoping the only addition is the sub, well the breaker I got the bit's from seems to think that's the only difference, but I am not convinced. Why would you need a whole amp just for the sub...
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But then that's one owners manual that I think the technical writer was drunk during authoring, because it's pages of weird stuff ...  so I haven't read it all yet  

Yes it is a bit of a mouthful, isn't it? I just read what I needed a few months back then top up from time to time.  Laughing
Cyland101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that did not go well at all. Looks like the wiring between the LC4 and LC5 are different.

The DVD sat nav unit under the drivers seat is different with different connectors, but looks like there is a adapter cable that will replace the current one, so there is some hope here. Likewise the centre console, which I recon a adaptor cable will also work.

For the amp and sub, there is no wireing under the passanger seat, I only had a cable which must have been a after fit by Toyota, which will not fit the amp. I did not see any other cables under the seat, so can only assume these don't exist.

I need to go to the breaker that the got the bits from and see if I can find the adaptor cables, as without these I stand no chance of sorting this out.

So all in all a failure for today, but not altogether a lost cause..... just yet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: