All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

gearbox VC removal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Rabbets

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:10    Post subject: gearbox VC removal Reply with quote

Hi
I've searched but can't find the article with pics of how to remove the VC in an 80 gearbox. I knew I should have printed it off.
Does anyone know where it is ? Thanks.
Frank
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/124794-tutorial-removing-viscous-coupler-photos.html

from the wobbly steering thread.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
blobrob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what the big heavy cylindrical thing is, was so confused when i took it apart Rolling Eyes

97 HDJ80 Manual, Safari snorkel, 33" BFG AT, Wildsmith sliders, lift coming soon... to find out if I got that lift or made it Mongolia use a search engine Wink
mcmoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interseting link and article.
]i've lifted one wheel on mine and put it in N/N and you can just about turn the wheel by hand, almost as if the handbrake is dragging. its a long way from what you could describe as spinning freely though. someone has been in my transfer box before as its got orange hermetite round it. i wonder if a PO had trouble with it. is there any other checks to do other than remove it?
i've been chasing what i thought were brake troubles for ages causing poor mpg and the reluctance of the truck to pick up speed when rolling down a hill. maybe i need to investigate this!!
Towpack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmoo wrote:
Thats an interseting link and article.
]i've lifted one wheel on mine and put it in N/N and you can just about turn the wheel by hand, almost as if the handbrake is dragging. its a long way from what you could describe as spinning freely though. someone has been in my transfer box before as its got orange hermetite round it. i wonder if a PO had trouble with it. is there any other checks to do other than remove it?
i've been chasing what i thought were brake troubles for ages causing poor mpg and the reluctance of the truck to pick up speed when rolling down a hill. maybe i need to investigate this!!

I've tried this and mine feels the same. You shouldn't be able to spin the wheel freely in the literal sense. There will always be some drag. My transfer box has the red sealer round it and others on this forum have mentioned it so it's probably used on the assembly line. I have a pretty good SH for my car with no mention of anything other than routine maintenance so I don't believe my box has been out.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
mcmoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks towpack thats good to know. i've never had problems driving around in tight circles as described in the link. did notice a little "jump" when reversing out of the drive in the snow, on a few consecutive days (and only when reversing) but just put it down to the conditions.
i always thought the VC was all part of the centre diff.
i'll keep on with the brake investigations for now.
regards, Tom.
davey b
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind with the drag resistance thing, you could lift an axle and try spinning a wheel just through the diff against the other wheel.  If you have too much resistance there you may have the brake or other problems you mention, but it will give you a gauge to judge the single wheel drag for the VC assessment.
mcmoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thinking on this started a while ago whilst trying to spin the wheel to set up the handbrake. with either whole axle off the ground the wheels spin relatively freely, so i know its not through either diff, so put it down to being the viscous unit. i just assumed putting it in N would disable it??
however my uncle has a lr90 and says that does all sorts of weird things if its up in the air, wheels rotating willy nilly.
i'm not overly worried though as the unit must be doing something. in the recent snow i never had to engage the centre diff once (except for disabling the abs),
or when driving through a stream on a friends farm, whereas my mate in his disco 2 has to engage low range and traction control lights on everywhere. ha ha.
Frank Rabbets

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the resistance felt when jacking one wheel up and trying to revolve it normal with a healthy VC. I think it is designed to lock the front and rear axles to a limited degree when driving on the road normally. I am tempted to remove mine in case it fails [outside chance] . Are there any drawbacks to not having one? When you are pushing it would normal rodholding in the dry be affected?
Frank
davey b
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll just drive like an old Range Rover Laughing (or an early 80 Wink).  

The VCs were fitted during the gearbox upgrade in 93ish when they became 'trendy' and probably cheaper due to the Fergusson licences running out or similar.  If you think back that is when all the 4wd turbo hatches hit the scene and the 3.9l RR with new gearboxes arrived.
Towpack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a VC you would have a fully open CD until you fully locked it manually with the CDL switch. The VC is aimed at road use where a fully locked diff is not desirable and would cause problems so the main drawback not having one would be less traction and poorer performance in snow/wet weather etc. Doubt you would notice in the dry on an 80 as it has nothing like enough power to spin the tyres on a dry road surface.

I guess everybody has their own opinions on this but 'removing it incase it breaks' makes no sense to me. You could say that about numerous bits on the car. JMO

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Frank Rabbets

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a pessimist Phil. Having heard what trouble they cause on failure i think I'd rather take it out. We go to France 2/3 times a year and I dread any sort of problem there. My fuel pump played up on my PI audi and would only run for 1 mile before stalling, then you had to start it etc etc. Took all day to get to the ferry. Then all day up the M'way,stopping and starting.

Yes I had early RRover. I bought a crashed one and a new chassis and ended up with a current [then] registration. No cetre VC and open diffs x3 . Stunning roadholding . No power stearing. You could lift both inside wheels on a roundabout and spin the wheels. I had 10;5 CR pistons in it . Used to do 110 mph.

frank
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stripped the splines on one of the front drive flanges on my old 80 there was no go at all without CDL engaged so I'm not convinced it actually does anything useful in the real world anyway. AFAIK they only put the VC on 80's from 93 onwards and then abandoned it for the 100 which suggests Toyota probably weren't too impressed with its performance either.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
mcmoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i've driven around in circles today on a gravel yard. with the CD locked the tyres were definately scrubbing, obviously not as bad as with an axle locked but similar. with everything "open" it went around and around and around.............................
looks like its ok.
as far as does it do anything, would mr toyota spend money putting it in if it didn't work? this point comes up many times. i must say it seems a little extreme to remove it before it breaks, however knowing how it works and interacts in use does give insight to when it is going wrong.
just my opinion, thanks, Tom.
Frank Rabbets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon
I take it that on the 100 the middle diff is completely open when in normal use with no limited slip characteristics at all?
Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: