Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacing a Propshaft Universal Joint:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knicko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.spam/forums/showthread.php/53962-UJ-question-(hopefully-very-simple)

This link on the "other site" seems to confirm the conflict of information re compatibility of different UJs.

2003 Land Cruiser Amazon VX 100 series. 5 speed auto. 4.2 TD. 122000 miles.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 22:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

knicko wrote:
The UJ on the forward end of the rear prop is visually different to all the others - and it doesn't seem to be available via Roughtrax or Milners, as they state their UJs are not for the 'double' type joints, which I assume is what I am describing at the forward end of the rear prop?

The 'Double UJ' is known as a "Hookes Joint" after the 16th century Engineer/Mathematician who invented it. It produces a true 'Constant velocity' unlike the single Universal Joint at the other end of the rear propshaft. If you have ever driven a Series Land Rover in four wheel drive you will know what this feels like when you turn - the steering wheel lurches back and forth as they have single UJs in the steering swivels instead of 'CV' joints  Laughing.

The Europeans call a prop shaft a 'Carden Shaft' and the UJs are 'Carden Joints' - presumably after a European Engineer. All very confusing.

I haven't had to replace the Hookes Joint bearings on my '95'. They are protected from the elements by the plastic under-tray and last a long time.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with replacing yours.

Best of luck.

Bob.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I meant I did all but the Double Cardan Joint - I would be VERY surprised if the UJ's in your Double Cardan needed doing, the shear nature of the two close UJ's removes vibration and more than halves the vibration/wear etc.... (Plus they are up out the *beep*)

I did strip them and check them at the time - but remember wishing I hadn't!

I think from memory they had a different Toyota Part number, BUT it may just have been that the grease nipple was in a different location or something...
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s. I agree with Bob - strictly speaking - having a Universal Joint (single one) at either end of a shaft, makes it a Cardan Shaft - but over here we just know the joints as UJ's we refer to the close mated double UJ end as the "Double Cardan"
knicko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these updates guys -  very encouraging that the double cardan joint rarely fails. Obviously I wasn't checking it properly.

I will just do the rearmost UJ and see how that works out first.

2003 Land Cruiser Amazon VX 100 series. 5 speed auto. 4.2 TD. 122000 miles.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget BEFORE you strip it apart (before you even take it off the vehicle really) make sure you mark the orientation of the yokes.

I center punch each part in a line.... Make a real good mark as you'll probably clean everything up while fitting new part so careful not to clean your marks off....

Tip from me... Genuine prop has all the grease nipples facing the same way.
mallinguard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, how important is it that you do this?

i have just put my 95 back together again after several years in bits, using some parts from breakers, and ive found a deep, rumbling vibration when you put the power down, thinking its a UJ, but would of noticed at assembly if this was the case.

if it is indeed down to putting yolks together which are not suited/aligned, how do you solve it? Confused

cheers
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say very important - especially if you have a lift!

Have a look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4qwLfOMY

For a good explanation of why!

As for checking, best option is to find an identical one not messed with and copy the alignment!  I can't remember off the top of my head how mine were phased - Bob might have a better answer...???

Bob?
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s. the bit about "phasing" is demonstrated at the end of the video!
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
As for checking, best option is to find an identical one not messed with and copy the alignment!  I can't remember off the top of my head how mine were phased - Bob might have a better answer...???

That video shows the effect of single UJs very well but as we have the 'double UJ' (and therefore a constant velocity) at the driven end it and the propshaft should always turn at a constant speed.

There will be a variation in speed at the rear diff if it's single UJ should be out of line with the propshaft.

I can't remember how my prop yokes are phased either, but looking at the vid the input and output yokes appear to be exactly in line.

I'll crawl under the '95' tomorrow and look  Laughing.

Remember that the slip joint should also be marked to keep everything in phase and to maintain the balance of the shaft (there are sometimes pieces of steel plate welded to the propshaft to balance it).

If you have assembled everything without marking the bits first, I would set the yokes in line and try it. If there is bad vibration I would separate the slip joint, turn one end through 180 degrees and try again.

Nothing is ever simple  Rolling Eyes.

Bob.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so the double Cardan 'Should' eliminate the need to phase the shaft (rear shaft - the front is pretty straight anyhow) so the only real reason to line it all back up is to keep it balanced...

When I re-built mine, I did have them balanced by Bristol Propshafts, they have a machine that looks like a very long lathe and can re-weld lost balance weights onto them etc...
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest Bob did you ever check the phasing of your shafts? Will have a look at mine and see if they are the same...
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.

I centre-punched my coupling flanges at both ends and also marked the two halves of the slip joint before taking the propshaft off.

That guaranteed that everything went back in the same position as it came off (one has to be careful when replacing the UJ obviously or the flange could end-up in a different orientation  Wink ).

I've not noticed any problems since replacing the UJs.

Bob.
liongeorge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to highjack the thread a bit but I have just give my LC a full service and in doing so greased the UJ's. I just used my standard tractor grade EP2 grease but have since found out that you are meant to grease them with a special grease.
  Do you guys think my standard grease will do any harm?

ATB George
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will do any harm. I use Castrol 'LM' grease in mine (and in everything else) and that works fine.

Any grease will be better than none  Laughing.

Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: