4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Getting type approval

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Import specific Technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 21:56    Post subject: Getting type approval Reply with quote

Lucky me, i was given an HDJ80R, bodily slighly shabby nothing that can,t be fixed. It,s on UK plates and it,s 1991 vintage .
I drove it from the North of Scotland down to Murcia in Spain, where i live and totally enjoyed it cruising along with nothing to prove, my problem is i want to re-register
to Spanish but it needs a euro type approval cert. i,ve tried Toyota UK, Toyota Europe and Toyota Espagne, they all replied but could,nt help me, i even wrote to MIRA.
 Anybody with any ideas how to get approval.  Oops now the remote locking packed up what can that be?                                                                                        
 Sparks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 21:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

aroscow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your new truck.

Can you get the exact wording of their requirements for an already registered vehicle coming in from another EU member state.

Do you need to register right away or can you enjoy the benefits of being a foreign visitor.

If you (well the vehicle actually) comes and goes regularly how do they view that?

Are you planning on selling it on over there?
alaric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you need to be asking for is a "Certificate of European Conformity".

I got mine from Toyota Hellas before bringing my Land Cruiser to the UK from Greece.

The only difference could be that mine is a lot newer (2001).

Try Peter Jackson at Toyota UK on +44 1737367931. He advises on import issues for Toyota UK.

Alaric.
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will be going through the same process later this year.  Do you have residencia?  If not when you apply for residencia the car CAN be registered and brought in as part of your 'goods and chatells' and this is quite a common way around it.

Other than that if you are already resident then you may be stuck because it is illegal for a resident to import a non european conforming vehicle, perhaps a trusted friend?  As a non resident you can bring the car here for 6 months and then it has to stay out for six months before returning, in case you were wondering Gibralter despite being part of the UK is not considered as such in spanish law so no popping over there for the day to get paperwork stamped ect.

There are many companies here that do the paperwork (the spanish love paperwork) who know one or two ways around  the system but the gaps are closing fast and the recent hike of import duty to 30% of what the Spanish thinks it's value is may be considering, keep in mind that the spanish S/H car market is run by a sort of cartel and pricing fixing between them is rife, for example a secondhand Landcruiser 80 (worth about £4000.00 in the UK) will set you back about 10,000 euros here, ask me how I know!!

Please note I an not a lawyer and most of what I have is from local papers that are translated so continue with your own research to get the latest facts and figures.  BTW is your car a JDM as this can add to the complications, I am thinking this may be the case because all UK versions were OK european import?

regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
alaric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it has to stay out for six months before returning

Not just the car, either - the owner also has to leave the host country for 6 months too!

I didn't realise the OP's car wasn't originally UK registered. I was lucky that I bought my car in Greece whilst living there. It was originally sold in Greece, and as this is part of the EU it's a relatively easy process to import the car to the UK.

Alaric.
welshman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate has done several in the last couple of years, the latest in October was a Lincoln Navigator 5700cc or something, Lives in Spain and residencier imports into UK gets it MOT'd puts on temporary UK plates for export to Spain then onto Spanish plates, normal problems are the UK will accept (sometimes) red rear indicators as USA normally have. gets lenses laser cut and white inserts fitted or reversing lights altered  and amber bulbs fitted other thing some countries insist on rear fog lights being fitted.If you need more info I'm in Malaga from 21st Sunday for a few weeks, give me your No and I'll call.

Ron
Sparks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 19:03    Post subject: Certificate of European Conformity. Reply with quote

Hi people   I do,nt know the exact wording of what the Spanish trafico want suffice to say it has to be checked by an engineer who makes sure the ID plate and the car
 match ie you have,nt souped it up. He,s the guy who looks at the conformity, then if ok gives a paper covered in bar codes to you Aroscow.   The car is staying in Spain
and my 6 months is over. Alaric you were right it is a CEC,and i,ll speak to Mr Jackson tomorrow.  Dave 2000 i,m a resident here and on the padron,and it is,nt a grey import too many digits on the ID plate. Welshman sent you a pm hope you got it      
             Sparks
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know how you get on because I am looking for an 80 to bring to Spain and import ect.

regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
Sparks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Conformity. Reply with quote

Being a 91 ther,s no e-number on the id plate fixed to the bulkhead thats what im trying fix as far as iknow after 96 they had e-numbers.
I thought the head lights would be hard to source but i found a guy in Benidorm who had em and cheap for 20euros he,d put em in and set em up so he got the job
 for the rest i,ll keep you posted
    sparks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Import specific Technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: