Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Diff Lock Actuator Installation guide:

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:49    Post subject: Rear Diff Lock Actuator Installation guide: Reply with quote

There have been a number of posts recently concerning people replacing their Rear Diff Lock Actuators and then having trouble.

The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a published "Installation Procedure" and there's more to it than just bolting the new unit into place and coupling up the wiring.

So, having just climbed the learning curve - This is what you do  Cool

*** admin edit ***

LC 90 Rear diff-lock installation guide <-- Click to view user-friendly version

*** admin edit ***

The Diff Lock Actuator moves a 'Rack' inside the rear diff housing and that locks and unlocks the differential lock. The Actuator and Rack have to be properly aligned in order to work.

With the old Actuator removed, check that the rack moves freely - I used a screwdriver to move it.

Moved fully to the left (as you face the rear of the car) - i.e. fully to the offside in the UK - the diff is locked.

Moved fully to the right (as you face the rear of the car) - i.e. fully to the nearside in the UK - the diff is open.

It may help if one rear wheel is raised, the handbrake is off and the centre diff is open (make sure the car is secure, with the front wheels chocked). Then by turning the raised wheel you can confirm that the diff lock works and that the rack is moving across its full travel.

I suggest you leave the diff Lock in the Open position (fully to the right) before the next step.

Then, connect the new Diff Lock Actuator to the wiring harness and let it dangle.

Put the Transfer Box into 'LL', switch on the ignition and turn on the Rear Diff Lock switch on the dash. The Actuator should go "Whirrrr, click" as it moves to the fully locked position.

Next, turn off the Rear Diff Lock switch. The Actuator should go "Whirrrrr, click" as it moves to the fully unlocked position.

The Actuator is now aligned with the Diff Lock Rack.

Finally, install and bolt-up the Actuator.

That should be it. However, if there is a lot of corrosion around the Actuator it is worth checking the Diff Lock Detection Switch. This is screwed into the Diff housing just above the Actuator. If it is faulty the system won't work and you will get a flashing 'Rear Diff Lock' warning light on the dash.

These switches can be difficult to remove. I used a 27mm deep impact socket with a power bar and had to heat the diff housing with a hot air gun before it would come loose.

When I finally got it out, I found that the switch body had partly rotted away and a new one was required.

My recommendation is to leave the switch alone unless the system doesn't work properly after carrying out the alignment process above.

One more thing - The ABS Warning Light should come on when the rear diff lock is activated as the Four Wheel Drive ECU disables the ABS when the diff lock is engaged.

Good luck.

Bob.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Another!) Fantastic write-up Bob!

Thank you notworthy

Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent indeed. Steep learning curves for everyone elses' benefit.

Cheers Bob.

Never fails to amaze me the amount of metal corrosion that can take place under a car in a relatively short number of years. Salted roads are a curse IMHO despite the safety and convenience they give. And don't mention cow and other rural animal shy-tea on the roads too.  Shocked
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really must stop typing in invisible ink - yes well done Bob!  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

Chris
Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You thought about writing a workshop manual Bob? Put my name down for a copy...

Chris

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
Channel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 17:31    Post subject: Difflock Actuator Reply with quote

Great article Bob. Where did you obtain the new actuator and what price was it.  If too much I will live without one.

Channel
Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to Ian Rubie (idrubie)!

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Re: Difflock Actuator Reply with quote

Channel wrote:
Great article Bob. Where did you obtain the new actuator and what price was it.  If too much I will live without one.

Channel

£400 for the actuator and £45 for the detector switch, from Ian Rubie.

Bob.
Poppius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Does anybody know original Toyota spare part number for Diff Lock Detection Switch?
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppius wrote:
Hi! Does anybody know original Toyota spare part number for Diff Lock Detection Switch?

Hi,

The switch part number is:

84222E (84222-12010) SWITCH, DEFFERENTIAL LOCK INDICATOR.

A few years ago I paid £45.00 for mine.

Cheers.

Bob.
Poppius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobMurphy wrote:

Hi,

The switch part number is:

84222E (84222-12010) SWITCH, DEFFERENTIAL LOCK INDICATOR.

A few years ago I paid £45.00 for mine.

Cheers.

Bob.

Hi,
Thanks for info, and informative writeup!
Smurf

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do with this info for my 120 series 2005 LC5, having the same problem !
Toyota quoted £4000 to replace acctuator and wiring loom !
Danny B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know if the switch is faulty should the lock motor still function but the light on the dash will just flash red not detecting lock is engaged? Or if the switch is faulty it won't even activate the motor?

Hope that makes sense.

Danny.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question  Confused .

I think the switch will just tell the Diff Lock ECU that the Diff is now locked, so the light will just flash if the switch is faulty (I doubt the ECU is so sophisticated it knows if the switch is faulty!).

The way to check would be to jack the rear wheels off the ground, put the gearbox into a gear (or 'Park'), go into Low Ratio and then lock the diff.

If the rear wheels can't be rotated independently then the locker has worked - regardless of what the light is showing.

If you try it - please let us know the result (mine all works so I can't test this hypothesis without disconnecting some wiring  Wink).

Bob.
Danny B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

My abs light comes on and I get a flashing light when I switch diff lock on but I dont hear any action. I will Jack it up tomorrow and have a look, I know it's more than likely the actuator but will try a step by step as its a great way to understand it more, Are there any fuses/relays to check?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: