4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado - transmission problems (my mechanic hasn't a clue)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humptydumpty

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:21    Post subject: Colorado - transmission problems (my mechanic hasn't a clue) Reply with quote

Hi,

My 10 year old landy has 100k miles on the clock. Love it to bits but lately has developed a couple of transmission faults.

1) Start the car for the first time, stick it in Drive, squeeze the throttle and nothing happens. Press the throttle further and eventually it will engage with a violent clunk. Usually get around this by sticking it in reverse or 1st / 2nd  and move the car a little and then try Drive again and usually we are good to go. Just had a minor service and MOT and my mechanic noticed the transmission fluid was a bit low. Topped it up but he has no idea what the problem is. Notice that it pulls away a bit more smoothly than before but the main problem persists.

2) Driving at around 55mph and around 2000rpm, very occasionally the car appears to find a higher gear the revs drop a few hundred but within a few seconds it changes down gear and the revs go back to 2000. This is on level ground, with a constant throttle setting. So I can't help feeling I am never getting into top gear. I notice it is chewing the fuel (more than usual). Overdrive is off etc.

My brother in law has an engine business and mentioned the torque converter as a possible prob. Really don't want to fork out on a new transmission etc. if there is a low cost solution!

Thanks for any advice.

PS I am hopeless with car mechanics so DIY not an option!  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you last change the gearbox oil? This seems to be a common “fix” for many an gearbox problem. I’ve read reports that a low gb oil level will make getting into some gears a problem, which could explain how you seen an improvement when it was topped up. When you check the oil level make sure that the engine is up to temp (and therefore the gearbox) and shift through all the gears before checking the level as this will trap oil in different parts of the box and give you a true reading. The dip stick has a level range for cold but I don’t like using that as it is hot when I’m using it.

Mine usually changes up at around 55mph as well. If you’ve driving hovering around the changeover point then it very well may switch between the upper and lower gear. I would fully recommend driving with the overdrive on as well. This will improve your fuel economy as it in effect gives you a 4th gear.
humptydumpty

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I should have said that was overdrive was on.

Anyway yesterday the transmission packed in just before it was due to go into the workshop for investigation.  Sad  According to my wife - when driving up a hill it started revving its head off and there was no power in any gear. She managed to roll it back down the hill and park in a safe street. So fortunately no harm done to her.

Will keep you all posted
humptydumpty

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - apparently my gearbox is broken. Its parked up a relatives engine replacement business but after more that 2 weeks he seems unable to source a reconditioned box. Says its better to replace it than take it apart. I am a bit suspicious about that to be honest.

Found a local firm who (without seeing it) are talking about approx £2,100 to rebuild it. If it needs a radiator as well - £2600. And I'm not sure if that's with VAT on top.  Shocked

Am I dreaming? Is this what it costs. Being mechanically challenged I feel like I am totally a their mercy.

Can anyone advise me how I should handle this situation.

Cheers
joinerman

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one breaking on fleabay, item no 120572917296, this is for the seats & interior but will link you to the breaker.
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

humptydumpty wrote:

Am I dreaming? Is this what it costs. Being mechanically challenged I feel like I am totally a their mercy.

Can anyone advise me how I should handle this situation.

Cheers

My advice is to stop sounding like you know nothing because that is when they slip into you.
You have an Aisan A343F transmission,its not a lot different to transmissions used in other Toyotas Lexus Volvo Vauxhall.
Aisan are probably the largest manual and auto box manufacturer in the world these days.

Find some transmission diagrams and learn a few part names,ask potential rebulders what parts most likely need replacing.
Realistically you will have to have it sent to a larger town/city to get a competitive price.

You dont necessarily need a new radiator to keep the trans fluid cool.
I rigged up an aftermarket trans oil cooler for my Volvo for about $40
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
MAGRE

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:52    Post subject: RE: Auto gearbox replacement Reply with quote

Hi, i had a similar problem with an import LC80 but i managed to get it sorted before it stopped driving completely.  Cool  

I'm not a mechanic myself so the option of getting mine reconditioned was disregarded; firstly because it was going to cost a fortune in buying all the individual parts needed. then i was running the risk of doing something wrong while putting all the parts back together and finally it was going to take me ages to get it sorted.

My only option was to start searching for a 2nd hand one. I found one on e bay and he wanted £600 for it. It wasn't cheap but i thought it was a reasonable price for an auto in good condition, as he was claiming, so i went to pick it up. I checked the oil, it seemed quite clean so i loaded into my other landcruiser and off i went.

A few days before attempting to change the gearbox, i saw another one for sale on e bay and in the description it was saying it would only fit import landcruisers!  Embarassed That's when i realised that the first gearbox i bought was the wrong one! They look exactly the same, apart from a temperature sensor the import ones have on the side. (someone said you can bypass that and still use the gearbox - so if anyone knows how, it would be nice if she/he could share it with us)

I had no option from buying the other one!  Sad The guy selling it said that he bought it to replace his, but then decided to sell the car for parts, so he was left with the gearbox. It sounded a bit dodgy to me but he only wanted £150 for it so i took the risk and bought it.

Hoping that i had the right gearbox this time, i removed the old one from mine to do the swap. Don't attempt this by yourself, they are heavy........! I removed mine and i realised that the torque converters were different!  Twisted Evil That's when i felt like getting some petrol and setting everything on fire! After i calmed down and after taking some measurements i was hoping that it was going to work, even though the overall length of the converter was longer. With the help of my brother and a friend, we managed to lift and fit the replacement gearbox.

The LC was back on the road and was pulling like a beast! I don't know if the gearbox we have fitted was one from the early models, hence different torque converter, and if the ratios were any different from the newer ones, but the acceleration and the torque you could feel was amazing. Having no ABS and no upgraded brakes we thought it was sensible to adjust the fuel pump and cut some fuel to calm the beast down.

Touch wood, it still drives as it should with no problems.  My advice; make sure you buy the right gearbox. If you spare some money and you are not very mechanically minded pay someone to replace it for you!

Good luck with yours!

Michael

PS - Before replacement, we have cleaned the filter and changed the oil, which initially made a big difference but it does eventually wear out so replacing it is your only option.
chilipepper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price quoted seems not to far out, I had a similar problem with my wife's range rover TD6.

The dealer wanted £4,100 for a reconditioned box, I know a couple of people who trade in car's and they put me in touch with a company in Wigan who rebuilt the box and torque converter and carried out the latest LR mods for £1,700 plus VAT which was the best price. He offers a 12 month guarantee and carried the work out in three days and lent me a loan car.

Autogear Boxes, Wigan, Lanc,s ask for Fred and he will quote you 01942 677800
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: