Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

80 vs 90, vx vs gx, help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 21:36    Post subject: 80 vs 90, vx vs gx, help Reply with quote

hi guys,

New to this site and looking for my first LC.

I did leave a intro, but no replies, I hope there are some members on here.

I guess I am stuck on which to get 80 or 90, which one will last the longest and what is the main difference between the vx and gx.

There main problem I have is I only have 3-4k and the bay is just full of scams (email me or I won't reply - what's that's all about)!

Can anyone confirm what's the best way to track one down and how does one track a used one on the bay.

traders prices are way off and private owner have written their write up as its the last car in the UK.

any advice and help please.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will reply; I was thinking others may reply also; your questions are just not specific enough I guess.

The 80 and the 90 are both great trucks, provided they are used within the realms of their own performance.

A 4.2 TD 80 weighs in at almost 3 tonnes, but will capably tow 3.5 tonnes, over most conceivable terrain. The 4 wheel drive system includes front, centre and rear diff locks, with a Low ratio split box. Front and rear axles are solid, incredibly robust engineering. MPG varies dependant on who you speak to, where and how they drive, and how they have calculated it. Expect around 25mpg, being realistic.

A 3.0 TD 130BHP 90 weighs in at a slightly lighter 2.2 tonnes, and can capably tow up to 2.8 tonnes, again over most conceivable terrain. However, the 90 has independant front suspension, not a front axle, and only has a mechanical central difflock, with an electronically actuated rear diff lock on the rear axle. Still has a split low ratio box. The 90 also has a slightly softer rear suspension, meaning that stiffer springs are sometimes needed if towing nose heavy trailers. Again, they are very simple, robust, incredibly tough engineering. Expect around 30mpg for the manual diesel, slightly less for the autos, given SENSIBLE driving.

The 90 TD with the older indirect injection engine can be run on virtually anything, waste veg oil filtered & mixed with petrol/ diesel; straight vegetable oil mixed with petrol/ diesel; biodiesel, sometimes requiring a drop of petrol in deepest winter.

The 80 4.2TD CAN be run on correctly processed Biodiesel quite happily.

Personally, I didnt need the size or power of the 80, so the 90 suited me better. I believe the 90 to be slightly less complex; however, I have only dealt with Hilux Surfs and 90 LC; never crawled over an 80.

The VX has all the toys; the GX doesnt have leather electric seats or the central console info centre. Prados are different again (I can only comment from 90s). The 90s are all the same mechanically.

Whichever you choose, chances are it will be a long and happy partnership; most people own these cars for years, with boredom or down sizing being the main reason for sale.

I bought mine locally from an old bloke, his son had listed it on e bay for him. High miles (150K), but has had every service without issue of cost, with full service history, 11 mths MOT, every receipt, and all previous MOTs.

When working on the car, I can see evidence of parts having being changed; the gearbox oil, when changed per interval, still looked like new.

Good Land Cruisers are out there; mine was £3200 BTW. Saw a LOT of overpriced sheds, both private and dealers. Eventually, the right feeling truck will just appear. Try as many as possible before committing.

There are a few things to look out for, if you are interested in that speech, just repost...

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HW

I was getting worried there was not many members on the forum and started to look at other forums.

Yes this is a great reply and helps with my search.

I will reply in full and explain what I need the car for shortly, but to help I will not be pulling any caravans (my wife refuses to accept them as a living space).  It sadly not going to see any mud either.  The car is for the house and work only.

I guess that might rule out the 4.2 power and be edging towards the TD 3.0.  The 90 could be the one, or the last years of the 80.  I will be going through all the reviews.  You help seems to be pushing me towards the 90 as I too don't need the extra power.

I also need to look at the tax rates. I need to check which models fall into the 400£ band.  Don't want one of those, will be paying enough in fuel.

the veg oil how does that work - is there a link on that?

finally the 3-4k is going to be a issue I know it.

more to follow.
godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HW

Following on from my earlier reply.

I will be using the LC to get to schools around the welsh valleys or rct and caerphilly areas.  Not much mud, but in the winter months, the roads do get iced up good and with their steep street, my accord not up to the job. The boot space is fine for my kit and the well known long lasting engine will keep me going for years, I hope.  

2nd the LC will also act as a school run jeep for the young ones, if I am heading to work and back.

Don't really want a van.  I wanted another jeep, but better than my crv.  Which is good, but not as rugged as the LC.

my last Toyota L reg 3 door corolla, I ran into the ground, it was still running, but need all the underneath redone and not worth the monies.  I should of kept that.  120k miles plus and it still was going.

Anyway the accord going 80k and like new.  Going to have 2 jeeps I guess.

needed and wants.....

Power not needed for caravans or mud and rocks.

but want a strong one to last and the 80 & 90s fit the bill.

HW kind reply answered one question straight away, its the VX I do need. posh inside!

HW insight into engine size is also pushing me towards the 3.0 TD.

automatic is that better, I am sure I read not much in it with manual!

Colorado - is this the 90s jeep.

New questions

where can I get full specs and detailed history on this model?

pros and cons on this?

veggie oil - how does one go down that route?

which year had the most problems?

3-4k fund - what reg range is that - R to T or newer?

hope my intro helps you guys point me in the right direction.

All advice is greatly accepted as the auctionbay was worrying me with so many hit and miss descriptions of peoples jeeps for sale.

OH HW how much tax do you pay?  struggling to find a answer on that.  is it the 270band?

cheers once again
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

godzilla wrote:
I guess that might rule out the 4.2 power and be edging towards the TD 3.0.  The 90 could be the one, or the last years of the 80.  I will be going through all the reviews.  You help seems to be pushing me towards the 90 as I too don't need the extra power.
Yeah, me too!

godzilla wrote:
I also need to look at the tax rates. I need to check which models fall into the 400£ band.  Don't want one of those, will be paying enough in fuel.
Dependant on year; if the truck was registered pre-2001 I think it is, its taxed by engine size; not emissions, and its 1.5 litres or less one price, over 1.5 litres another price. Mine was £122 I think for 6 months tax this year. Makes no odds, 80 or 90 model; all the same tax rate.

godzilla wrote:
The veg oil how does that work - is there a link on that?
You mix veg oil, either waste from a takeaway (WVO) that has to be dewatered by heating and filtered through a series of filters to 1 micron; or obtain straight veg oil (SVO) from a cash & carry or oil dealer. I buy straight veg in Winter from an oil dealer that deals in food damaged stock; its not safe to be cooked with, owing to flies or dust contamination, but its perfect for use as a fuel. I pay 75p per litre for it. No dewatering or filtering required. All you do then is add an amount of petrol & diesel, dependent on cost and temperature outside. In Winter, I add 2 litres of petrol & 1 litre of diesel into a 25L air tight chemical tub with 20 litres of veg oil. Then, I use a Gulper pump to pump the fuel from tub into the tank; blitzes through it, much faster than the garage pumps. I fitted an extra little inline filter to the car, and a heat exchanger that uses engine water heat to heat the oil, pre filter and injection pump. Car runs brilliant; other than the faint wiff out of the exhaust, never know that its not on diesel. It actually runs cleaner than diesel; and will clean out all fuel lines, fuel tank, pump etc. MOT is a cinch; no emissions due to not burning a fossil fuel. PM for anything further.

godzilla wrote:
finally the 3-4k is going to be a issue I know it.
Nah, still a few gems hidden around; keep looking and trying. A few good ones were on e bay, Autotrader, Pistonheads & GumTree last time I looked.

godzilla wrote:
Colorado - is this the 90
Yes, or the Prado on the import market

godzilla wrote:
where can I get full specs and detailed history on this model?
Try wikipedia; best place to start, or the Toyota website

godzilla wrote:
pros and cons on this?
On what? Have a read around the forum; most faults are listed somewhere. For the 90 series 3.0TD its cracked cylinder heads that are the main expensive bugbear; everything else is very simple, tough and rugged.

godzilla wrote:
which year had the most problems?
No specifics really; the cracked heads were supposedly only on the early 1996 models, but I have heard of later models cracking also.

godzilla wrote:
veggie oil - how does one go down that route?
As mentioned above; its a big step if you want to go down the waste route; straight is much easier but dearer. Commercial Bio Diesel is an option too; we have a company in the next village that produce it, deliver it and pump it into the cars tank for 90p per litre. Even less messing with that one; works grand all year round. At 80p per litre, my own mixed straight is cheaper, then come Summer, I will be back onto the waste stuff at 35p per litre. Too cold to be standing around in my garage waiting for oil to boil at present.

godzilla wrote:
3-4k fund - what reg range is that - R to T or newer?
I would have said so; or newer with astronomical mileage or poor condition. I saw some early cars with low mileage but no history and evidence of neglect inside, outside & mechanically. I also saw later cars with 200k miles plus that were just old & tired feeling. Mine was a compromise; it just felt right. Nice, quiet old boy, could tell he really loved his car. His wife said he had valeted it, inside & out, every weekend in the 10 years he had had it. No children, non smoker. 150K miles with full service history, a file full of receipts, every previous MOT, 11 months MOT still on it. Just had a new clutch & release bearing fitted (with 2 years warranty) and all the transmission fluids (2 boxes, 2 diffs) changed. Took me 3 months to find the right car; sometimes just have to be patient. TRY LOTS!!!!

godzilla wrote:
hope my intro helps you guys point me in the right direction.
If you dont need the extra power and weight, I would say a 90 series is the best match for your snow & ice needs. Boot is massive; way more than an average family estate could ever hold, weight wise and size wise.

godzilla wrote:
OH HW how much tax do you pay?  struggling to find a answer on that.  is it the 270band?
Mentioned earlier.

Hope this sheds a little bit of light for you!

Had mine in 2 foot of un cleared snow on the Lakeland passes last weekend; she lapped it up. No issues with these things in snow; they just keep ploughing through. Towed a Merc Sprinter van out of the snow drift & down to the bottom of the lane; childs play. Yet to find something that a piece of kit like a 90 (or an 80) would struggle with.

For evidence of towing might, look for Toyota Colorado vs Mitsubishi L200 Tug Of War on YouTube; back to back tug of war, the Toyota drags the pitiful Mits pickup down the road with the Mits wheels all spinning. Pathetic car by comparison.

Good luck with your searching...

Occasional use on SVO...
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it; had another laugh to myself!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKflfc3sHtQ

Enough said?

Occasional use on SVO...
godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

HW you must be the only guy on this site.

The intros have hardly any replies and loads of questions are posted without anyone even saying Hi!

Thanks for for all the input and advice I will be weighing everything up and trying to win the wife over as she wants me to get something that is 52 and and newer as the LC will be replacing my 52 accord whcih again has nothing wrong with it.

I am seeing a LC 90 this Friday in Bristol at a place called motormart.  Its high mileage at 163K and a W 2000, no info on the service etc but I am going just to look at it and have a sit in and feel of all the bits and piece and look underneath.

The 00/01 range will give me a good idea on what to lookout for and what kind of questions to ask private owners.

The tax bits I will check with the give site but I guess they will be in the 220 or 270 range.

THe problems I am checking more and more site to see common problems and how to detect them when seeing a car.

The veg oil - that is a great idea and need to get more info that as I get to cash and carries all the time and have access to pure veg oil in 20l tubs.  Also I can check locally about waste.

I just need to make sure that the Reg I choose has the right engines in them.

The vids are great and know of the power and the size of the LC car, my brotherinlaw is trying to get me get a shogun.  I have told him a few times that the shogun is a good car but has nothing on a toytoa or a honda.

Will report further on my viewing and what the latest deals are around the web.

There is a few low 100K models out there, but the info on them is somewhat missing or the dealers are not giving anything away.

I cant understand why so many bay auction have cars listed, but no info given to help them sell it.  Why even bother listing!

by the way your name reminds me of Star Wars so much, that you must be a scifi fan or really hairy.

Anyway all the best and will update in a couple of days.

thanks for all the advice and info - its been gratefully accepted and appreciated.

cheers old boy
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because your on the wrong site, pm your mobile & i'll text you the site to be at, not allowed to mention it on here.
StangV2_0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also surprised by how quiet this site is.

At the top of the page you will see a link called LCCSA. Although it is a South African site you will still be able to get a lot of answers regarding your vehicle of choice. Check it out.
godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

StangV2_0 wrote:
Im also surprised by how quiet this site is.

At the top of the page you will see a link called LCCSA. Although it is a South African site you will still be able to get a lot of answers regarding your vehicle of choice. Check it out.

Cheers for that, as it seemed like no one owned one here apat from wookie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: