2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC3 2005 engine popped

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marlot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone claiming from Toyota, this thread might be halpful

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2392429&page=2
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wooly0000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the copper seals changed to aluminium on tuesday along with the injector pipes, cant fault the dealership, they took pictures of the work carriedout, gave me the old seals as well.

feed back given was, there was no engine slugging and the copper seals and engine where in good codition, anyway as stated peice of mind now as i do a lot of towing with it, next project .... engine chip ?  Very Happy

cant fault the dealer ship! good advise given and the car was returned back to me on time and a little cheaper than quoted!
macpcs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:54    Post subject: result Reply with quote

OK, update

Local dealer stripped motor completely. Took pics, sent to Toyota...immediate approval for all work to be FOC. At the very least....

new crank, cams, head, block, pistons, injectors, valves etc etc. From what I can gather they "may" reuse the bottom casing and maybe the turbo...if it passes independant testing. All parts and labour coverered....to the tune of £9.5k! They even replacing water pump, which was leaking apparrently...but obviously not part of the failure, nor affected by it.

The guy thats going to be doing the rebuild is away this coming week so will get it back in 2 to 3 weeks. In the meantime (and for last 2 weeks) got courtesy car.

So, for success in this instance its a mix of being informed, and having a good local dealer. Suppose it helped its always been serviced there (at reduced rate) and we have been customers with various vehicles for several years.

Clearly, there is some kind of "common" failure cause that certain people wthin Toyota are aware of. Whether the 5 year or 100 k limit would have applied...i dont know. This was a Sept 05 vehicle with 65k on the clock and fsh, with no extended warranty etc. If they had attempted to apply the time limitation etc in this case, there would have been robust and swift high level discussions, under the circumstances of the failure. Anyway....

Good luck all..but there you go....summats up eh?

Mac
withabix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm the 'withabix' from the moneysavingexpert dot com thread mentioned in one of the posts above.

Interesting to see that it isn't just Nissan who have this very similar-sounding problem with injector nozzles!!

My X-Trail is now back up and running, but it did take 9 weeks and a threat of Small Claims Court action. My resolution period was probably extended because the X-Trail was originally supplied in Ireland - one of the perils of buying from Motorpoint I suppoe!!
macpcs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this post on Toyota Owners Club website...ouch!!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112010

Can anyone suggest a cause for our 2006 30,000 mile Land cruiser invinsible needing a new engine, the car has a FTSH. We were driving back from France on the motorway when I felt a large vibration, plumes of smoke seen in rear view mirror. We got the car to a Toyota garage in France and they diagnosed faulty injectors. The injectors were replaced but the engine had same problem. The head was removed and the bore of cylinder no 4 was discovered to be very worn with nasty scratch marks. The car was recovered back to UK in pieces and the Toyota dealer in UK will not comment on cause of damage to the bore (neither will the toyota dealer in France!). The car was 3 months outside 3 yr manufacture warranty and the best Toyota offered was a new engine at cost and the labour charged at warranty rates, I have had a new engine put in at a total cost so far of £8,000. I would be very grateful for any views on what may have caused the damage to the bore, if the garage in France were correct in diagnosing faulty injectors then would that have caused the damage?
Thanks in advance

Have pointed them to relevant recent posts
withabix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The injector nozzle fails and allows excess fuel into the cylinder. Explosions result, generating massive amounts of heat, burning out te valves and damaging the piston head. Fragments from that lot travel up and down the bore and, long with the damaged piston head, scratch the bore.

The result of all this is that the engine is beyond repair, all resulting from the failure of a £100 injector nozzle.

The identical thing happened with my Nissan X-Trail diesel engine at 73000 miles/33 months - so outside the manufacturer's warranty by 13000 miles.

Nissan offered me the 'chance' to buy a new engine at cost or £1000 off a new Nissan, after 4 weeks of negotiation.

I did a bit of reasearch and found that Nissan do not show any inspection, maintenance or replacement of the injector nozzles in ANY maintenance schedules for the life of the vehicle.

I suspect Toyota will be exactly the same.

My case agaisnt Nissan was therefore that th injector nozzles should be expected to last the life of the engine and not destroy it.

On this basis, I got my problem resolved by writing to Nissan demanding they satisfy my rights under EU Directive 1999/44/EC (which is about the durability of consumer goods) within 14 days or I would start a Small Claims Court action against them.

Within 5 days, a new engine and fuel pump was ordered and in the end (after 9 weeks in total) I got my car back. Nissan also refunded me for £1200 of car hire and all I paid in the end was £800 labour for the fitting of the engine. About £8500 spent by Nissan.

I suggest you research EU Directive 1999/44/EC, the implications of which are that something durable, like an engine, should last for upto 6 years. THe applicabtion of this Directiv in UK law is a bit questionable as it hasn't been specifically incorporated into SOGA, however as Toyota trade in Europe it is worth a try.

Check that there is not maintenance requirement on the nozzles in Toyota's maintenance schedules as well. Someone on here should be able to help you with that one.

I anticipate that a threat of Small Claims Court action willg et most of your £8500 back very quickly. Even going as far as starting the action will only cost you about £150 for a sum this size. Well worth the gamble.

Toyota will probalby keel over because they won't want the adverse publicity or the unrecoverable costs.
macpcs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious as to why you paid to have the motor fitted, this being a consequence of the failure and not of your doing. ie, if the motor hadnt failed due to this recognised issue you would not be out of pocket.

Of course though, a new motor for £850 is a cracking treat and not to be sniffed at
withabix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

macpcs wrote:
Just curious as to why you paid to have the motor fitted, this being a consequence of the failure and not of your doing. ie, if the motor hadnt failed due to this recognised issue you would not be out of pocket.

Of course though, a new motor for £850 is a cracking treat and not to be sniffed at

....my contribution for wear and tear, which I considered was a very reasonable position, given the engine was 3 years old and had covered 73,000 miles.
marlot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Japanese car giant Toyota has warned about potential faults with the engines of about 270,000 cars it has sold worldwide, including the luxury Lexus."

I realise this isn't about the LC, but note the analyst comment: "Investors are not worried as long as carmakers act quickly to address quality problems," Mr Tabei said.

Anyone who has had the problem fancy contacting the press?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10472627.stm
GB2010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:46    Post subject: Injector nozzles Reply with quote

Just read the thread on injector nozzles killing engines.

Can anyone tell me if this problem is restricted to Deisel engines or can it also be a problem for the petrol engines.  

I have a Lancruiser Oct 08 Prado Grande 4.0L auto petrol in Autralia and looking to import it into UK.  I have been informed that the local Toyota dealer in the UK will not service or have any issues with imported cars so need to be aware of any potential issues before the Prado leaves Australia.

Also cant believe that a Toyota dealer will not service a Toyota vehicle.  I accept it is a foriegn import but it is fundementally the same vehicle as sold in Europe, afterall it is a Toyota and it currently has a full dealership service history.

GB
marlot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have many petrol LCs in the UK, so you'd be better looking on PradoPoint for any common weak spots.
Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The petrol engine is completely different and therefore the injector issue with the diesels cannot effect yours.  Whether there is any other problems common to the petrol engines I wouldn't know, but they are simpler in many ways than the modern diesels. Ironic really when you consider the very simple principle that the original diesels worked on.  We've definitely worked hard at ruining diesel engines in the last decade and it looks like we've nearly succeded!
Twickers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely recommend getting everything sorted before importing your LC to the UK.  I have a 2005 LC4 D4D and have the same problem as several other members - engine went bang on the motorway, needs to be replaced and because it's an import Toyota UK will have nothing to do with it.  Pretty ridiculous as they're all made in the same factory in Japan and you would have thought Toyota would want to protect their image somewhat.  Local Toyota garage is quoting £16,000 to replace engine and other damaged components!  Needless to say that's not going to happen.

I'm now looking for a reconditioned/second-hand engine, so if anyone can point me in the direction of a reliable supplier and/or fitting company then I'd be very grateful!

Too bad my first post is on such a depressing topic!   Crying or Very sad
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

This company might be able to help you:
www.ivorsearle.co.uk
Haven't used them personally, but have heard one or two good reports.  Website is impressive.
Richard
Twickers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Rick, have been in touch with Ivor Searle and they are going to see what they can do to help...watch this space!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: