Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

KZJ78 starting problem - suspect ECU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4xfaz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 20:39    Post subject: KZJ78 starting problem - suspect ECU Reply with quote

Hello people,

I recently picked up a 1994 KZJ78 auto NONE RUNNER.
The seller told me that he was driving along in it and all of a sudden the engine cut our refusing to start again.....timinig belt ..I though but upon ispection the timing belt is intact and in good condition.

Towed it home to find there was no fuel to injectors, pumped the primer with 1 pipe off and it was pumping diesel out, the return pipe ontop of the IP was returning fuel to the tank but not upto the injectors, I checked voltage at the top solenoid with ignition on and it was very low 0.03V..... thinking it wasnt getting enough power for solenoid to open up I gave it 12v to red wire of solenoid and earth to black wire, turned the key and it started after many
hours of head under the bonnete..... although it started there was a huge cloud of GREY smoke .....HUGE cloud of smoke couldnt see the vehicle thats how much smoke, anyway I shut it off.

Looking arround I noticed that the glow plug light remained ON no matter how long i waited, further more the CEL check engine light didn't light up at all with ignition on, even when I tried jumpin the diagnostic connectors - still no CEL

This leads me to believe that the engine ECU is cooked........why? ....It has 2 batteries fitted the one closest to the bulkhead was NOT secured in place by the bracket, so i thought maybe this is how it died whilst the previous owner was driving along the battery moved a couple of inches touching the + terminal to the filter housing or the bulkhead......this sudden surge/short circuit could have fried the ECU.....

So has anyone got an ECU for a KZJ78?

Many thanks in advance.

"it aint a f#*@ing landrover"

4x4xfaz
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 20:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Eddy4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have had same problem, my ECU was cooked probably during jumpstart. I was looking for replacement for months... no chance. Quoted  over £500 for the new from Japan and looooong waiting. Finally sent my to someone in Ukraine and get it back repaired in about 6 weeks. The cruiser was off the road for almost 6 month  Crying or Very sad

Ah, before I found that ECU is faulty I replaced: glow plugs, glow relay, timing belt kit, fuel pump and injectors £££££££££  Crying or Very sad
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the benefits of a mechanical fuel injection system.

Roger
4x4xfaz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I get no joy with this ECU search then..... a mechanical pump it shall get!

I have an LJ78 currently which has had the mechanical pump convesion on it..... so I could possibly copy that..

BUT first choice would be to keep it a KZ-TE.

Haven't yet found a replacement ECU

Have been proding around with a multimeter and some kz-te electric diagrams to figure out why the CEL doesn't come on with ignition ON...... also Gglow plug light remains ON no matter how long I wait....

Mad
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Frogs Island" are in Abingdon.

Have you had a word with them?

roger
4x4xfaz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here is an update guys.

I had no joy finding an ecu for this kzj78, tried most wreckers, s****pers and e bay etc but no luck.

SO.... I picked up a '94 4runner 3.td .....manual pump + manual transmission .... now I am very tempted to convert the auto prado into a manual one and make it a special rare motor to keep as my '97 HDJ80 might be sold by this time next week.

(I know 78 is not an 80 but I needed the cash)

Has anyon transplanted a 1kz from a 4runner to a prado 78? Would the gearox/props fit withou any adaptation?

Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks
andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at getting the ECU repaired, for example http://www.autotekelectronics.com/newautotek/UK/
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4xfaz wrote:
OK here is an update guys.

I had no joy finding an ecu for this kzj78, tried most wreckers, s****pers and e bay etc but no luck.

SO.... I picked up a '94 4runner 3.td .....manual pump + manual transmission .... now I am very tempted to convert the auto prado into a manual one and make it a special rare motor to keep as my '97 HDJ80 might be sold by this time next week.

(I know 78 is not an 80 but I needed the cash)

Has anyon transplanted a 1kz from a 4runner to a prado 78? Would the gearox/props fit withou any adaptation?

Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks

if you do the conversation to the manual pump then have a look at IH8MUD as there are people that have done it on there.

(I see a business opportunity here - I will see how much 1KZ-TE ECU's cost here!)

Very Happy  Mark
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4xfaz wrote:

Keep us updated mate, I want to do this to my LJ78 if anything ever goes really wrong with the engine or 'box. Good luck Wink

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
bjee43

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 18:13    Post subject: ECU KZJ78 broken Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

My name is William Saunders and been a while since I paid a visit to this forum... actually because my KZJ78 hasn't broke down yet... till now Smile.
Same problem here, my ECU is out!!!!  Looking for a new or used one, but no such luck.
Can somebody give me maybe a hint where I could find one???

thanks A LOT!!!!
wobbly

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

There dont seem to have been many 78's with that engine, so maybe a 3.0 surf will have to be the donor.

is there a part number for the ecu from the 78?
andy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried contacting the company that I linked to above, or if your good with a soldering iron try doing a repair.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
bjee43

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the help!! I will post the partnumber tonight, as I m at  the office right now and don t have it on me.
I contacted the company as mentionned above, but they couldn't help me. I asked the toyote guys if it was possible to repair the ECU, they told me it was IMPOSSIBLE, apparently toyota is the only makes wich works with unrepairable ECU's Sad((
andy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota would tell you that anyway, but it is possible to do it yuorself as a lot of the guys in Australia are having to do it on Surfs, here is a link to one thread that I found http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23215&highlight=cap+replacement
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
andy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another link http://www.toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7432&highlight=caps
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: