Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Valuation query LJ78 SX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EllJay78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 19:13    Post subject: Valuation query LJ78 SX Reply with quote

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum.  

I am potentially looking to sell my LJ78 Prado. Its a 1992 Japanese Import, brought over in 2001 and had some road use and then very little use for the past 5-6 years.

Mileage is around 107k which is low for this type of vehicle. It has the 2.4 2lte engine and for the age and history is in good condition. There isn't any service history as I have done the work myself over the past few years. It arrived with 5 seats only and is bog standard. The body work is as in my opinion a LC should be, a few age related marks and battle scars in all the right places.

Having looked around to gauge a valuation for it has been very difficult, as there aren't any available!

To this end, I would be grateful for any opinions on what these should expect to sell for. I often hear its worth what people will pay, however a ballpark figure would be most helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 19:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

sabilco13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I saw one selling recently on gumtree for £3,799 model 1993 with 160K on the clock.
I hope this help.
I am planning to import a 70 series from Japan. Can you share how your experience was like? Did you get exactly what the inspection sheet said?
Thank you.
All the best.
Ed
EllJay78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabilco13 wrote:
Hi there,
I saw one selling recently on gumtree for £3,799 model 1993 with 160K on the clock.
I hope this help.
I am planning to import a 70 series from Japan. Can you share how your experience was like? Did you get exactly what the inspection sheet said?
Thank you.
All the best.
Ed

Thanks for the response Ed. I tried to find the vehicle on gumtree without success, presuming it has sold.

I actually got mine years ago from an importer and paid market value back then for it. I recall there being issues with an SVA needing doing which delayed things however from my end it was a si.ple purchase. Sorry I can't help any more than that. If you would like to know more im sure there are importers who can advise? I can seek out my contact if they are able to help.

Thanks
sabilco13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I tried to find the post but it seems it got sold already.
Thank you very much for the information provided. However, can you confirm if the car you imported was as good as you were expecting and how much taxes did you have to pay back then?
Thank you.
EllJay78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabilco13 wrote:
Hi there,
I tried to find the post but it seems it got sold already.
Thank you very much for the information provided. However, can you confirm if the car you imported was as good as you were expecting and how much taxes did you have to pay back then?
Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for looking. The car was bought from an inporter with all taxes etc paid. I've absolutely loved owning the 78. Its never been off road beyond driving through a country park or around our plot. Its a shame to see it go but with emissions rules becoming so strict I havent been able to use as much.

Its a land cruiser. That should say it all. Reliable, strong, tough, thirsty, fun to drive slowly, evocative of life in the wild. Mine is a 1992 and the engine cannot be compared to modern diesels, as you'd be at a loss if you did. Its a land cruiser and that's all that needs saying.

Go for it if you're looking to bring in. Make sure its the best example you can get and mod it to make it even more resilient and fun!
sabilco13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
That are all the reasons why I am trying to get myself one ; )
I found another website advertising a car like yours. Have a look at this link:
carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1102096
Can I ask you why did you say that you are letting your car go because emissions rules becoming so strict. I am sure this doesn’t affect you. You bought your car long time ago. It is more likely it will affect people that are buying the car now (like me).
EllJay78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabilco13 wrote:
Hi
That are all the reasons why I am trying to get myself one ; )
I found another website advertising a car like yours. Have a look at this link:
carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1102096
Can I ask you why did you say that you are letting your car go because emissions rules becoming so strict. I am sure this doesn’t affect you. You bought your car long time ago. It is more likely it will affect people that are buying the car now (like me).

Hi,

Its entirely to do with ULEZ emissions rules in cities. I visit my family regularly in London and since these changes started coming in I have used the lj78 less and less. I cant justify paying c.£100 a day to enter and park for a day in London to see family, and also cant have the lj78 not fulfilling its purpose.

Its such a good looking thing, it gets all the right compliments when I drive locally and the sharp edged shape of it is becoming a rare sight on the roads.

Thanks for sending the link will take a look.

Have you found one you like yet?
sabilco13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I understand you now. It makes sense, it is a shame that it is the case though.
I’m still waiting for the right opportunity and figuring out all the taxes and hidden expenses that are involved with it. Have you had many people interested on buying your land cruiser?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to import one, get the 3.0ltr turbo version. The 2.4 turbos are prone to head cracking, especially with poor maintenance on the cooling system coupled with bad head design. I have owned a 2.4 for around 15 years and up to a few years ago, thought Id got away with it, as not all have problems. Alas mine cracked, despite scrupulous maintenance all round, resulting in replacement head., but still a good runner. I have gone over to a 120 for my daily drive.
Some complain the 78s are slow, but I didnt find that at all, if you want speed buy an f1,  78s are good old workhorses, and head apart go on forever if properly looked after.
Prices, a difficult one, but on models such as these that are getting rare now, they can fetch anything, 2 lj70s on e bay, so swb, 1 around
3 grand, the other around 11 grand, so although in different condition you see how prices fluctuate..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: