4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2nd Start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 13:41    Post subject: 2nd Start Reply with quote

Hi to everyone I just bought myself a Land Cruiser & when driving it home the 2nd Start keeps coming on on the hottest day of the year I am pretty sure there’s no Snow about just wondering if anyone could help me & what it might be

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 13:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second start button to the lower left on the dash of the steering is probably pushed in so the second start is activated , try pushing the second start button so it turns it off .
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony yes I tried that pushed it & it goes off but then later on it came back on again & I am sure it changed the gear it was in to lower gear very strange
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth popping the switch out and give it a clean with contact cleaner, might be some spilled drink or dash cleaner type chemical found its way inside.
Don't know if the switch itself comes apart, some do some don't, Subaru switches do but try and find the tiny bulbs that illuminate them.
Hambo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Juddian I will give it a try do you know if you can disconnect it in anyway or maybe take a fuse out thanks for your reply
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can not get the switch out spray some WD40 with its thin straw in through the gaps of the switch  and push the switch in and out a few times and repeat with WD40 a few times and that should clear any sticky substance that is causing it to stick in at the back .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

any fuse that serves the 2nd START button will most also cover upto a dozen other items on the same fuse .
Hambo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just disconnected the switch & took it for a drive it’s dreadful 40 mph 2nd start light comes on & the gearbox changes down & off it’s awful any thoughts Anyone please
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing i'd do is have a look at the gearbox oil, if its an early 4 speed there will be a dipstick you can pull out, if its the later 5 speed there's a level plug beside the drain plug in the bottom of the sump.

90 series radiators were prone to failure allowing coolant into the auto box via the rad cooler, not aware of that being an issue with 120 but i'd want to rule it out staright away before any more damage is done if that has happened.
If its not that and its electronics playing up i'm useless.
karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great suggestions so far.

Have you got access to a scan tool (eg Techstream) that can read any fault codes?  Also live data would be useful when the problem actually occurs - then we might be able to look at the numbers and get some clues......

Was this a known fault when you bought it, or did it just occur?
Hambo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for reply’s what a day where shall I start another hot day so let’s get aircon re gassed I couldn’t believe it when it passed with no faults & it’s so cold now unbelievable wile I was there he put the computer on found rear abs sensor fault & solenoid on the gearbox fault which he cleared & said try that for few days & call back in if the fault persists which it did straight away leaving the garage got home tried to reverse onto the drive very strange lt was like rear brakes came on or may have left hand brake up burning smell then abs light traction control lights had about 4 warning lights on then so I took it for a long drive to Hereford do you know it drove there & back without any faults no 2nd start gearbox changing down work that one out
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it finished good for you , because of what you have stated has happened , if I were you I would check the battery terminals on both batteries that they are tight and not loose that they can move around  because if they are they can play tricks with the electronic systems on the car , it might also be wise to check the batteries are charged to a decent level also .
Hambo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony thanks yes I will check them tomorrow the battery’s don’t look that great I might put multimeter on them & I might change them I must admit if that was my Range Rover with faults you could not have driven it thanks you all for your help yesterday & today
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: