All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Soaking wet footwell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sunroof drain is blocked it will leak down the A piller and work its way down to the floor , the sun roof on the 120s can stick on one side or both due to the runners drying out of grease
and need help with your hand by pulling it back evenly on both sides when you press the switch to open it , once it is open you need to spay the runners with grease spray , wd40 will not last long and will dry out ,
Hope that helps ,
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 19:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Muckle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys some progress.

Left the car overnight and this morning there was water in the footwell - pooled along the door sill in line with the front edge of the door (so under the hinge essentially).

I assumed it was the door seal but on close inspection I can see water dripping down from under the far right side of the dash - where the side pillars are. See pics - I hope the link works.

https://imgur.com/a/Z1XCXJT

So clearly the water is getting in somewhere above the bottom of the dash, and it seems likely that it is running down the pillar.

Any suggestions as to what to do next. I'll see if I can get behind the dash and trace it further. Blocked sunroof drain? I tested it a while ago and water came out the bottom of the car but I guess it could be leaking on the way down. Is the drain a plastic tube that runs down the pillar? If so do they facture / split? I ran some wire down the drivers side sunroof drain a few months ago - could I have damaged it?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to get the sun roof open and  poke the corners with long  and flexerble like very long tie raps or some  thing like that , coz I  suspect it is the sun roof drain is blocked , if the sun roof will not open on its own help it by pulling it so it slides open evenly because if it has dry runners it will pull to one side and jam  , lube the runners once it is open with grease and work it by sliding the roof switch open and close till it works ok ,
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a line from a garden strimmer to do the sunroof drains - strong enough to clear them but won't rip or damage anything!
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Tony thanks for the tip on greasing the sunroof rails... thats my job for today sorted Smile
Muckle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had an early morning fight with the sun roof.

Grinding and clicking when trying to open in to the "up" position and then one side moved up whilst the other did not. Took about an hour to get them back in sync. Lots of grease and some pushing eventually got it back in line but the mechanism is not happy. I suspect one of the gears is stripping. It won't even think about moving back in the fully open position.

I was worried for a while that I'd end up with a 1cm open gap on the roof for a while. Still not convinced it is properly closed but it looks OK. I think in this instance I might take to a local 4x4 garage. Feels like it needs a full strip down and I don't have room in the garage to store the car whilst the sun roof is dismantled - and whilst I'm no mechanic I do know that having the car outside with the roof open won't help wet footwell issue!

I might get brave later today but for now I'll leave it be and hope that the grease starts to lubricate the mechanism a bit.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get to slide open/close  to get the runners lubed if you can ,
Muckle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the sun roof off to investigate the mechanism without the load of the actual sun roof and the worm gear ( I whatever) is goosed. Even after fully lubricating the runners the gear just grinds and clicks. Sometimes engages but only on one side. Took about an hour of persuasion to get the sun roof back in something like a sealed position.

Also cleaned the drain holes. Poured water down them and guess what, water appears in the footwell as well as coming out the underside of the car - so presume that the drain tube is split.

So in summary the leak seems to be coming from the sunroof drain - but half way down in the A pillar, and I need a new sunroof motor as well as small plastic bit that broke off because one side was moving and the other was not. Balls.

Check book at the ready!!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you poked something long enough to make sure  the drain is clear and no back log of water is going into the car because  the drain is not clear enough to let all the water out in time before it over fills the drain and gets into the inside of the car, as for the sunroof if its going to cost lots to fix and the sunroof closes properly I would leave alone as not worth  big money to have it fixed , you can still just pull the ine cover back to let light in on a dull day 😃
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony we need all the sun we can get in the UK  Very Happy
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

🤣😎
Muckle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
Have you poked something long enough to make sure  the drain is clear and no back log of water is going into the car because  the drain is not clear enough to let all the water out in time before it over fills the drain and gets into the inside of the car, as for the sunroof if its going to cost lots to fix and the sunroof closes properly I would leave alone as not worth  big money to have it fixed , you can still just pull the ine cover back to let light in on a dull day 😃

Poked about 6 ft of strimmer line down the drain hole but could not get it to come out of the bottom so it might be partially blocked. I'll have another go tomorrow.

As for the sunroof - it does not close properly unfortunately. It is sort of seated OK but not really right. Pretty sure it will leak when it rains hard.

I'll remove the sunroof motor tomorrow and take a look. I'm pretty certain the work gear is stripped. Might just bite the bullet and get another one - if I can find one at a semi decent price.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I am in Huddersfield at the mo , will been here for two weeks on tuesday I go back on 21 september , came over for my youngest sons wedding , carnt wait to get back to Cyprus
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muckle, if you have an airline, use that to clear it. Cover up the interior though, in case it blows back, and wear goggles.

Tony, you kept that quiet, suppose you didn't bring a stick of rock for me and Karl. 🤔🤣
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

😂🤣
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: