Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Toyo Power timing belt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VR6badger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 13:38    Post subject: Toyo Power timing belt Reply with quote

Hello,
After recently buying our Land cruiser 120 I then bought some service items from Milner Off Road including a timing belt kit which included, tensioner / damper, idler pulley and timing belt.
The Timing belt itself is made by Toyo Power stamped 2009. I have never heard of this manufacturer and as it was an original Toyota belt coming off was reluctant at first to replace it with this.
My question is what is other people’s opinions and experience with using the Toyo Power timing belts?
For anyone that has used a Toyo Power timing belt before then what is the date stamped on it as I really hope it is not the manufacture date.
I Phoned Milner and they said that they sell lots of these belts each year, so it is unlikely to be the manufacture date. They also retrieved another belt off the shelf for comparison which was stamped 2010. This however was worrying to me because it does not point towards a random serial number and more likely a production date…?
Thanks,
Mike.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 13:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Badger, whilst having heard of the make, I have never used one, and yes I would agree with you, 2009 looks like a manufacturing date that I wouldn't be happy with either. By telling you they have just taken another off the shelf with 2010 on it, confirms really.
Regardless of how many they have sold/high turnover etc, that may well be correct, but means then their supplier is sending old stock ?
Rubber related products can age without wear, depending on conditions stored.  I only ever use genuine timing belts, for such a vital and important job. The Toyota one is probably made by someone else anyway, but meets their own strict standards.
Hang about for more opinions from others, someone may tell you they have always used Toyo Power, and found them to be perfectly ok
By your question, there is obviously doubt in your mind, and once fitted will always be on your mind ??
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i too wouldn't want to be using that if that number does refer to age, its definately nothing to do with length because our belts are really short...unlike the one that goes round my belly.
I haven't heard of the make either,  OE or Gates i prefer...note Gates belts are sometimes stamped something like Gates Power Grip.
VR6badger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. Milner said they buy direct from Toyo Power but I was thinking have they been sent new old stock. Most 120's are now 10 years plus with over 100k so our we now using the old stock up.

Think I will buy a geniune Toyota timing belt and change it over to keep my mind at rest.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision, Badger,
There will be a good difference in the price, but reliability and piece of mind is more important.
VR6badger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the idler pulley and tensioner are still new, I will reuse them.

Does anybody know the correct procedure for resetting the tensioner and inserting the pin?

I'm thinking in a press tool or G clamp, vertical position, slowly and carefully clamping down until the pin can be inserted.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a vice BUT do it slowly a bit at a time untill you can put a 1mm pin through it to hold it in position .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: