Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Wiring Diagram

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
6DAS6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 16:09    Post subject: Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Hi, desperately seeking help.

My 2006 LC3 has failed its MOT (first failure so far). It failed because the rear fog light isn't working. Press the switch and the orange fog light on the dash comes on, but not the rear fog light itself. Bulb is okay. Wiring from about rear half of the car is okay. Problem seems to be between the switch and....???

I've searched the forums and the only posts I can find suggest the fuse, ECU-B1 may have blown, no fuses blown. The only other suggestion is an 'interruptor' relay that prevents the light coming on when a trailer is attached. But without a wiring diagram, I wouldn't know whether my car is fitted with one of these or not.

The only other clue I have is that, if I have a trailer attached, the orange light on the dash comes on repeatedly and I have to keep pressing the switch to turn it off.

I'm really struggling to find a wiring diagram. All the links on here date back to 2012 or earlier and most lead either to dead websites or to page 404. I even phoned Toyota who 'don't think' their documentation goes that far back. ???

Can anybody help?

Dave
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 16:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, It seems as if it is our old friend, the towbar wiring that could be at fault, as with so many electrical issues when one is fitted.
As there are 2 rear fog lights as per my 2006 lc3, I assume you mean only 1 coming on ?
It matters not anyway, they are both wired together, and in the case of a towbar fitted a seperate loom.
I would remove your 12n towing socket (black) and have a look inside, so many of these have water ingress that does funny things to all areas of electrics. Your fog lights among others, are wired into this, blue IIRC, and if you have the type of socket that disconnects the rear fog lights when towing, look there. In any case when you view the back of socket when removed, check each and every wire for contact, usually there is enough wire to snip off each end, and remake the joints, if they are corroded.
Of course, if there is good evidence of corrosion inside generally, replace the socket.
Another item that can play up is earth, the thicker white one in towing loom, the other end iof this is in the jack cubby below the n/s rear light, bolted to the body. There is also a big red relay in there and a fuse/holder.
Sometimes a good squirt of wd40 on terminals of socket can cure problems, that then come back.
My bet is on poor connections in 12n socket, as is often the case. Good luck ! 😀
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with TM.

If you want a wiring diagram, there is one in the Haynes manual - make sure you get the 'prado' one.

Toyota also sell their wiring diagrams online, so the info is still available.

I think TM has probably given all the info you need though!
6DAS6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 22:38    Post subject: Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

No idea what’s happened to my previous reply, but it’s not showing here.

Thanks for getting back so quickly TM and thanks for the advice. Will check it out.

Karl200m: I Can’t find any reference to Toyota selling their diagrams online. Found a site that does .OVA files, eManualOnline. Is that it?

Thanks

Dave
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

No, its not the .ova files - beware of those they could compromise the security of your computer.

I'll try and find the website... watch this space.... !

I just had a look at the Haynes (I was going to upload the pages for you), but all I can find is a wiring diagram for the FRONT fog lights!
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/
6DAS6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 23:09    Post subject: Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Thanks Karl2000. I'll have a look and report back here.

Appreciate all the help.

Dave
TR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the towbar wiring is the dedicated type. Try disconnecting the fog lights from the towbar wiring and connect back to the original wiring harness.
You should find the original connectors still in place.
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on this one?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is waiting for more fog,
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha
6DAS6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 22:22    Post subject: Rear Fog Light Reply with quote

Hi all,

sorry for late reply, now back from hols.

I couldn't find the route of the problem, only that it was between the fuse box and the actual lights on the rear. I had a new loom installed from the front relay to the fog lights and they're now working okay.

I think the advice was correct, it's down to the towbar wiring connection, but everything 'appeared' to check out. So I went for the workaround before I scratched a hole in my head.

Anyway, I have a working rear fog light, so I have a new MOT for another year.

Thanks to all for the advice.

If anyone's interested, I was able to get pdf copies of the wiring diagrams.

Dave
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Dave,

Great!!  Glad you got a solution!

I'd be very interested in the pdf diagrams, but not sure how you can attach a file here!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good for another year then Dave, glad it's out of the way for you now.
6DAS6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl2000 wrote:
HI Dave,

Great!!  Glad you got a solution!

I'd be very interested in the pdf diagrams, but not sure how you can attach a file here!

Hi Karl,

I hadn't considered that. Here's a link to a pdf download:

https://qdoc.tips/toyota-prado-wiring-3rz-fe-pdf-free.html

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: