Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Interior Bulbs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 16:50    Post subject: Interior Bulbs Reply with quote

I'm thinking of changing the interior bulbs for LED's, but not sure what I need and where to buy them.

The centre light and rear roof lights are just festoon bulbs so that seems easy enough, but not so sure about the map lights - can't seem to find anything that looks like ti would fit.

Not sure what the puddle lights need either?

Any advice / links?  Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 16:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my 100 series I used led boards, look at this type of thing, eb a y item number  174723309711 were in the bigger map lights, and the smaller festoon type in door light.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
andy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look at item number 114727998157
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl . I did mine about 4 years ago , and what I found was the rear and centre bulbs are fesoon type like you said make sure the fesoon LEDs that you fit are no longer than 31mm or you will have a job getting them in , the map lights are bayonet type the bottom half looking a like the bulbs that fitted to old battery torches  , the lights in the door (puddle) are push type like the front side lights , problem with many cheap unbranded led bulbs on ebey etc from China is they do not last long before they start flickering and die out , so for LED side lights and rear number plate bulbs you need a good brand like OSRAM etc and they cost about 10 quid a pair have a very strong white light on the ice cool version  and last years , you need good brand leds for them   because they are on for much longer periods than a few seconds or minutes that the interior bulbs are on  , because those cheap ones will start flickering and die out inside a couple months at best , so because the interior bulbs are only on for very short periods they do not get to over heat and burn out like they would if they were on for long periods , so its OK to fit the cheaper type for the interior . if you type in  led car interior bulbs on e bay you should be able to get all the bulbs you need for the interior that you need , if you dont see the map led bulbs , try typing  in led car map lights ,if you have any trouble finding the led map light bulbs let me know I can send you a picture of them on whatsapp .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info chaps, will look at doing mine now. Did them in the 78 and they make a big difference.
I swapped out the reverse light bulbs on the 120 for led some while ago that you suggested Tony, great stuff, they're like searchlights in the dark when reverse engaged compared to originals.  😀
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with all the lights when you switch to LED , the standard headlights , side lights , and number plate lights and interior lights and puddle lights are a horrible cheap  yellowy light and look very dated compared to the crisp white led lights , fitting LED lights to the 120 takes years off its design , my LED headlights give me so much better vision , and looking at them from the outside they make the 120 look  much better also  ,  I could never go back to the old light system on my 120  even my home has led bulbs throughout house  ,
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info chaps - great help as usual.

Good idea about the reversing lights too.... another job in the p*ssing rain no doubt Smile

We should try and assemble some links for the bulbs, so we're not all trying to recreate the wheel...
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

👏 Tony is it possible to list what you used and where, for us still in the dark 😎  I think you did it once before on somewhere that shall remain nameless, to protect the innocent. 🤐😁
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain only works with boat anchors Karl ? 🤣🤣
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractionman wrote:
Rain only works with boat anchors Karl ? 🤣🤣

haha got a few of them.....
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found using the cheap type led side lights , fog lights , number plate lights they would start flickering after a few weeks , my brother who has made his living from being a electrician  since 1978 that also entails auto electrics told me when I asked him why do the led bulbs  flicker and if left in die out in days when the makers claim they last the life of the car , he told me that the cheap led auto bulbs soldering during manufacture is very  poor , so if left on for longer than a few minuets get hot and start to  burn out slowly that is why they flicker after a few weeks , he gave a pair of Osram side lights and told me they will last for years even when continues long hour use as the are made to a much higher standard , I fitted them and I have never had a problem since with them flickering as well as they give much stronger white light compared to the cheap leds   , he told me interior bulbs are only normally on for very short periods so they should not overheat so will last for a very long time if I dont leave them switched on for long periods , I changed my cheap 5 quid a pair front led fog lights that started to flicker after a couple of weeks to Samsung led  15 quid a pair  on his advice , the samsung led fog lights have been in for 4 years with out any flicking , at the same time I fitted Samsung door puddle lights and numberplate lights and they dont flicker and like Osram the samsung leds give a much stronger white light than the cheap leds . the map lights and centre and boot lights are the cheap leds had them around 4 years with no probs , if they give any problem flickering I will change them to Osram leds ,  I fitted LED headlights  as well 5 years ago cost was about 20 quid a pair , but    I think they are a tad too strong as they are about 5ooolms per bulb at 6000k  bright white  , so I have the headlight level switch set to number 3 as not to dazzle other drivers (not had any head on  drivers flash me since putting the switch to 3 , I used to get flashed regularly when set on 0 ) I have bought a pair of headlamp LEDs that are very powerful and claim not to dazzle on coming cars and you can leave on standard light setting , (on my 120 which standard is 0 due to self leveling air suspension) due to having a cut off point to the right hand side like normal headlight lights , I have yet to fit them though as it means taking out the battery's to fit them , but I will get round to it , hope that helps you and any one wanting to know about fitting LEDs
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS fitting front sidelights are a P.I.T.A with the battery's still connected even if moved to the side as far as you can by removing the battery clamp if you have thick fingers or big hands , expect a few chips of skin missing unless you remove the battery's . I am lazy that way and pay for it in blood  ,
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for the info!

Are the puddle lights the same bulbs as the map lights?

So far I'm considering these:

Map Lights - https://e bay.co.uk/itm/353409669406

Centre / Rear Lights - https://e bay.co.uk/itm/353539129387

While I'm at it, reversing lights - https://e bay.co.uk/itm/313443534850

Do they look about right?  Thank you!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl ,sorry for late reply , we are 2 hours in front here and I had gone to bed after I wrote my last comment , the puddle lights are not like the map lights , they are like the side lights and numberplate lights , If you type in on e bay  , Osram SL 12V W5W 501 Interior side light 6000k white led bulbs set w2.1 x 9.5d , and come as a pair . as you know you going to need 2 pairs to fit 4 doors , if you need any pics of any thing text me on whatsapp its free, if you dont have my number ask tractionman for it and he will give it you ,
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Ah thats brilliant thanks again - Good job I checked!

So I'm looking at these now for the puddle lights:

e bay.co.uk/itm/352283515338

Never realised how rubbish the old ones looked really until I took a closer look - too busy lying underneath the bloody thing!  Got any LEDS under there yet Tony? Smile)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: