All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0 D4D engine power throughout model years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 13:11    Post subject: 3.0 D4D engine power throughout model years Reply with quote

Hi everyone, new to site but not new to toyota. Have had FJ40, 80 series and currently own a 2.7 petrol hilux modified for offroad as well as a v6 camry. Looking at buying a 120 LC, trying to figure out the power output for each model year. It seems that early cars had 164 hp and late cars 173 but I am also seeing some cars in between with figures of 188 and 201 according to the various used car listing spec. So just wondering how I can check the actual hp for any given car. From what I understand there is no change in engine and its just different mapping by toyota. Ideally I would like a sub 100k miler with the more powerful engine as from what I gather re mapping or piggy back chip is not recommended.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 13:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless i'm much mistaken the 200hp 120's had a Toyota supplied Steinbauer tuning chip installed.

Whichever 120 you chose if its running right will have more oomph than you might expect from that 3.0 litre 4 pot, mines a 2005 LC5 so probably either of the two lower power outputs.
Recently cleaning out the EGR on mine has released much missing torque, it quite surpsied my daughter who runs a 310hp Civic typeR when i gave her a lift.
previously
Overfuelling can crack the pistons on these, worth suscribing to Fourby4Diesel on youtube for info.

Remember March 2006 is the cut off date after that you enter highest band VED, i'm given to understand the very last 120's circa 2009 might just slip into the level below top band (same as 150) but am equally likely to be mistaken.
4x4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you are right 09 with 09 reg is 173 bhp and £395 tax band vs earlier models such as 08 that are £685. To get that extra 30 hp is going to cost almost £300/yr.

Are piggyback chip tuning really that problematic in UK, it seems that its almost common practice in Australia and many other parts of the world. Its also pretty common over here for many other brands so what gives?
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gives is reliability.
Excess fuelling causes excess smoke, which may not bother you assuming you can get it through the MOTs but that excess smoke is going to cause even more build up of carbon in the EGR and inlet manifold.
What the long term effects on injectors is i don't know, certainly piston cracking is an albeit rare possibility.

The engine in standard tune isn't a slouch by any means, if you need more power maybe the 4.0litre V6 petrol 120 or a 100/200 series would be a better bet.
4x4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

V6 Landcruisers in 120 or 150 series besides being thirsty are rare in uk market, think I have only come across one for sale over the past few months and that was is a pretty poor condition. Not too keen on proper Landcruisers 100&200, a bit too heavy for my liking.

What I don't understand is if Toyota can chip tune it to 200 why not others given the wealth of knowledge and expertise in UK?
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly Toyota stopped offering the chipped versions, makes one wonder why they did so.

By all means buy any version and purchase and fit a Steinbauer chip, you'll have the same 200hp 120.
I have a Tunit chip somewhere in the house that fits a 120, i'm not putting it on mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: