Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Scanner Compatibility - Older 120s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
o-sam-o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 15:34    Post subject: Scanner Compatibility - Older 120s Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm considering a scanner to check the LC stats and input compensation codes after an injector job.

I've noticed that most say they are compatible with Japanese vehicles AFTER 2009. Mine is an 2003 120.

Has anyone here got experience with a Vident or Topdon etc that worked on an early 120/Prado?
Could be an expensive dice roll ... thanks  thumbright
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 15:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although all scanners work on my 2009 120 the 3 that I have all cost under £100 do not have the facility to recode injectors into my ecu . But the tecstream that I have does and it only cost me £15 when I got it on e bay , the tecstream costs about £20 - £25 on e bay lately and is the only way to go if you want the FULL facility of scanning and making ecu adjustments including recoding the injectors on your 120.
o-sam-o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Techstream first (with an e bay cable) but it didn't have the 120 lsited at all. Only the 4.7 2UZ-FE engine (the only thing under the landcruiser option).
Tried all the options and regional settings but didn't show anywhere. Maybe I had the wrong version?
petrus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a Prado 120 from 2004 and is having a  M-OBD, not OBD2 communication protocol.
I've tried several scanners but non is working
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that , I am not that good on computers as its like teaching an old dog new tricks with me and computers but the version I have is V12 .20.024 and the dongle version is J2534 standard OBDII    I dont know if that is any help to you .
o-sam-o

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that a crack Tony cheers. I think mine was a v16 or v17 so could be the older ones were removed or something. Long shot but I'll give it a go.
petrus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pradopoint.com.au/forum/-120-series-discussion-only/general-120-series/27742-installing-obd2-bluetooth-scanner-on-m-obd-prados

Loads of info here about compatibility
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My techstream was bought probably 5 years ago, it does everything reqd on my 2005 120, being as much use as a cow with a gun when it comes to computers i couldn't get t'stream onto my laptop and then couldn't get it to connect to the car, the IT guru we use had both issues sorted in minutes.
We have an ageing windows 7 laptop, that's what the t'stream is on and is used for nothing else.
o-sam-o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - that was a lot of searching for nothing  Rolling Eyes

The 2003 120 injectors don't have compensation codes. Might still get a scanner one day - but don't need them for the injector job.

I now know that the older 120s use a different injector type (with big spring thing around the top). The clue is to see how many pins the injector plugs have. If it's 4, the top two are used by the LC to do a resistance check. Lesson learned.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would check my tecstream still works ok on my 120 only to find the old 19 years old laptop I have on no longer fires up , it used to be slow to fire up and got slower every time I tried it now its hard drive is dead . So I have  ordered a toyota specific scanner that claims it can code the injectors on e bay  called a ANCEL TD700 cost was £78 with free delivery . I checked it out on youtube if anyone has coded injectors with it but could only find USA youtube vids no diesels on it ,BUT the same Ancel VD700 scanner specific  for VW had youtube vids made in the UK using it to code Audi injectors that worked fine and was easy to recode the injectors .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: