NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Coolant overflow

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 16:06    Post subject: Coolant overflow Reply with quote

Hi, just as i thought i got all the bits i need and that i would get the landcruiser finally moted this week. I started it up to let it run for a little bit today and after it had ran for a short time and i had shut it off i saw that water was leaking from underneath. Opened the bonnet and turns out it coming from what i assume is the overflow on the coolant bottle (pic below), and taking the cap off i see the bottle nearly completely full of coolant and when you put the lid on it forces it out the overflow. Any ideas what is likely to be causing this?

Thanks for any replys Phil.

My cruiser:
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66422#66422
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 16:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Phil70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that this wasnt happening when it was cold before i started it, and hasnt happened when i have ran it before.

Phil

My cruiser:
boxa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like head gasket or head to me sorry! Crying or Very sad
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
Phil70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxa wrote:
sounds like head gasket or head to me sorry! Crying or Very sad

Crying or Very sad I was worried about that, how much will i be looking at for a repair? Any thing else that could cause it?

My cruiser:
wobbly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it overheating on the temp gauge?

The giveaway sign for the head/gasket is bubbling - not sure about overflowing, sure someone else can confirm.

Does sound entirely likely, given the 2.4's reputation!

Is the radiator flowing properly. Also, thrmostat opening at correct temperature?

A compression test should let you know if its the head.

Pete
boxa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

just done head on my lwb 3.0 and total cost was about £1100 and that was doing it myself with new rad toyota head gasket bolts the works sorry to be the bearer of bad news is the cooling system pressurising look for bubbles in rad with cap off not to sure about the cost of your parts but i fitted an amc head as i didnt want to do it again
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
Phil70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
Was it overheating on the temp gauge?

The giveaway sign for the head/gasket is bubbling - not sure about overflowing, sure someone else can confirm.

Does sound entirely likely, given the 2.4's reputation!

Is the radiator flowing properly. Also, thrmostat opening at correct temperature?

A compression test should let you know if its the head.

Pete

Wasnt over heating on the temp gauge, wasnt ran for long seemed to be coming up to temp as it should. I didnt have chance to fully inspect it today will see what i can do tomorow. Il see if i can get a compression test done as well. And check the thermostat.

Something I did notice that im not sure if its relivant is that the blowers were blowing cold air when in the past they have always been jammed on hot.

Thanks for all the help think i may just have to cut my looses and sell it on for what ever i can get if it is the head.  Crying or Very sad

My cruiser:
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a muddy puddle in there by the colour of the coolant
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
rikm777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old hilux surf had this same problem .i was convinced it was a head gasket issue but it turned out to be a faulty radiator cap which was pressurising the system and filling up the overflow bottle.might be worth trying a new rad cap first
Phil70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

roscoFJ73 wrote:
Looks like a muddy puddle in there by the colour of the coolant

Yeah it needs flushing out and replacing, my plan was to do that once i got it on the road.

rikm777 wrote:
my old hilux surf had this same problem .i was convinced it was a head gasket issue but it turned out to be a faulty radiator cap which was pressurising the system and filling up the overflow bottle.might be worth trying a new rad cap first

Thanks for the reply, certainly worth a try. Will see what i can sort.

Thanks Phil

My cruiser:
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the engine warms up, the water expands and pushes against the pressure cap. When the pressure exceeds the rated limit of the cap, the cap opens and allows excess water to pass into the overflow tank. After switch off the engine cools and creates a vacuum in the cooling system. This then sucks back the water from the overflow tank and equilibrium is maintained.

Points to check:-

1) If the overflow tank was already full, the coolant coming from the rad. cannot be accomodated in the overflow tank and consequently flows out via the excess hose.

2) If the rad. cap is not sealing correctly, the vacuum can be destroyed, the flow back doesn't take place, the overflow tank remains full and-----see (1) above.

3) Pressure in the system created by failed head gasket. Hot ex. gases entering the cooling system raise pressure well beyond cap limit. This usually happens seconds after start up and does not need the coolant to have reached normal operating temp. Remove cap (VERY carefully) and look for bubbles and sniff for ex. gases. There are various means to test for failed head gasket but the one I used was to substitute spark plug/injector with a home made adaptor and pressurise cylinder with compressed air.

Roger
wobbly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

I'm only over in Cannington, I can pop over with a rad cap and see if that helps.

Was it a runner when you bought it? I'm wondering if it already had a problem, and a radweld type product has been used - its a bit odd that it is fine one day and not the next, but hasnt been used in between! Only thing I can think of is lack of anti-freeze and the very cold weather.

Do you know if it actually has a thermostat?

Pete
Phil70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
Phil

I'm only over in Cannington, I can pop over with a rad cap and see if that helps.

Was it a runner when you bought it? I'm wondering if it already had a problem, and a radweld type product has been used - its a bit odd that it is fine one day and not the next, but hasnt been used in between! Only thing I can think of is lack of anti-freeze and the very cold weather.

Do you know if it actually has a thermostat?

Pete

That would be handy, although the landcruiser is stored in east huntspill. Hopefully some one whos better with engines than me is having a look at it today. When i got it i did top it up with some anti freeze as i thought coolant looked a bit low. And yeah was running fine when i got it.

Dont know about the thermostat, will check and get back to you. Il see what comes of today and let you know.

Thanks again for all the posts.

My cruiser:
wobbly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

No probs - East Huntspill is no further , just let me know.

pete
Phil70

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the problems been solved, looks like it was the thermostat as after drilling a few holes in it the problems gone away. So all being well will have it moted and on the road soon  Very Happy  

What would you recommend coolant wise?

Thanks for all the replys this really is a great forum.

Phil

My cruiser:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: