Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Poor handbrake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smudge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:14    Post subject: Poor handbrake Reply with quote

My Hzj 75 has a very poor handbrake.I have a steep drive  and handbrake alone will not stop truck from rolling.
I have done all usual obvious things like clean drums, change shoes, check linkages and adjust cable all to no avail.MOT coming up soon so getting desperate.Any ideas welcome.

1996 Mercedes e220 Cabriolet
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 21:53    Post subject: Re: Poor handbrake Reply with quote

smudge wrote:
My Hzj 75 has a very poor handbrake.I have a steep drive  and handbrake alone will not stop truck from rolling.
I have done all usual obvious things like clean drums, change shoes, check linkages and adjust cable all to no avail.MOT coming up soon so getting desperate.Any ideas welcome.

Hi smudge

Reading between the lines, with having a steep drive, I bet most of the time you have to pull the brake on hard !

So I recon the brake cable has stretched and that why you cannot adjust it!

try a new cable

Radiotwo
smudge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 21:59    Post subject: poor handbrake Reply with quote

No, cure is not that obvious the cable has plenty of adjustment left in it. Handbrake is tight with plenty of travel left. In fact pulling on with two hand does not cure problem. No contamination i.e fluid on shoes either!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with my 73 series handbrake(same as all 60 and 70 series 84-95)

The shoes must suit the the radius of the drums ,if they dont ,get the shoes machined on a radial grinder.

Make sure everything is nice and clean and the moving ,especially the bellcrank are lubricated and moving freely.

Adjust the rear brake shoes till they just scrape and leave them.

Adjust the handbrake cable(it should have been slackened already) until it takes about 5-6 clicks to hold the vehicle on a slope
Dont worry about the rears if they are just touching.

Yank the handbrake a few times

You may need to readjust them a few days later.

I did mine about a  year ago and they are just coming up for their 1st adjustment.
They are not the best handbrake I have ever had but they can be made to hold the vehicle on a steep slope
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
smudge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 17:05    Post subject: Poor handbrake Reply with quote

That sounds more than possible as the new shoes look like after market copies and show little uniform wear. I will certainly give that a go. Perhaps fit different shoes.
Any idea whereabouts the oil pressure needle should sit when hot? Mine seem to be a little less than half way up the gauge. But the temp gauge also seems to read low despite voltage gauge being ok. Do you know if there is an independent voltage regulator for gauge supply? Engine has 300km on it and runs very sweet otherwise. Suppose only real way is to fit gauge direct to block to see what oil pressure is?

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 0:37    Post subject: Re: Poor handbrake Reply with quote

smudge wrote:
That sounds more than possible as the new shoes look like after market copies and show little uniform wear. I will certainly give that a go. Perhaps fit different shoes.
Any idea whereabouts the oil pressure needle should sit when hot? Mine seem to be a little less than half way up the gauge. But the temp gauge also seems to read low despite voltage gauge being ok. Do you know if there is an independent voltage regulator for gauge supply? Engine has 300km on it and runs very sweet otherwise. Suppose only real way is to fit gauge direct to block to see what oil pressure is?

Afternarket or originals wont matter. As the drums wears or is machined you need to use the right shoes.
You can usually get oversize brake shoes with a thicker lining.

Oil pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate but yours sounds about right.
They normally fail at the sensor on the block just forward of the starter.
Something like 34 Toyota models use this same sensor.(I paid about $30)
If you want an accurate reading ,remove the sensor and plug a temporary mechanical gauge in .It should hold 50 psi min when warm at 2500 for a minute. My new engine got 80psi
Its ok if they get 4 psi at idle.
The real problem is when they go sky high at start up and drop away to nothing when warmed up. This means worn main bearings.

There no independent voltage regulator that I know of. When the alternator packs it in ,it causes the gauges to spike.
I have 2 landcruisers with 1HZ engines and they have the temp sensors in different places.
The 73 series has the temp sensor on the water outlet to the radiator and the guage fluctuates .
The 75 has the sensor on the block somewhere and sits just under half and doesnt move much
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 0:40    Post subject: Re: Poor handbrake Reply with quote

roscoFJ73 wrote:
smudge wrote:

Afternarket or originals wont matter. As the drums wears or is machined you need to use the right shoes.
You can usually get oversize brake shoes with a thicker lining.
Maybe your drums are worn out .THey only allow 1mm I think.
They cost about $40-60 each here for aftermarket.
60 series should fit as they have the same brakes

Oil pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate but yours sounds about right.
They normally fail at the sensor on the block just forward of the starter.
Something like 34 Toyota models use this same sensor.(I paid about $30)
If you want an accurate reading ,remove the sensor and plug a temporary mechanical gauge in .It should hold 50 psi min when warm at 2500 for a minute. My new engine got 80psi
Its ok if they get 4 psi at idle.
The real problem is when they go sky high at start up and drop away to nothing when warmed up. This means worn main bearings.

There no independent voltage regulator that I know of. When the alternator packs it in ,it causes the gauges to spike.
I have 2 landcruisers with 1HZ engines and they have the temp sensors in different places.
The 73 series has the temp sensor on the water outlet to the radiator and the guage fluctuates .
The 75 has the sensor on the block somewhere and sits just under half and doesnt move much

Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: