Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

choosing between the 4.7 V8 or 4.2 V6 Turbo Diesel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranerX3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 17:38    Post subject: choosing between the 4.7 V8 or 4.2 V6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Delighted to join this forum. I'm currently in the market for a Land Cruiser 100 series, residing in Croatia but focusing my search within central Europe.

My preference leans towards the post-2003 models of the LC100. The reason being they are equipped with a 5-speed gearbox, ISOFIX, and a few other niceties that aren't readily retrofitable to older models. In contrast, older models' features, such as the rear-end locker, can be added later.

However, I'm grappling with the choice of engine. I understand the V8 has a higher fuel consumption rate, but by how much exactly? Furthermore, when it comes to towing, would the diesel variant outperform?

What about reliability? Are there notable differences? And considering I'm in Europe, how accessible are parts for each variant? I've noticed a ratio of about 4 or 5 V6s on the market for each V8.

If issues arise, which engine tends to be cheaper to repair? Moreover, which is more cost-effective to maintain in the long run?

I'm primarily considering vehicles with a mileage of between 150,000 and 300,000 km.

I apologise for the barrage of questions. I'm quite new to Land Cruisers and off-road vehicles in general. While I plan to handle basic maintenance myself, such as oil and filter changes, more complex tasks will likely require a mechanic's assistance.

Any insights and advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 17:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lometun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 18:47    Post subject: ENGINE CHOICES Reply with quote

Hi - I've had both the petrol v8 and the diesel 6-inline both 4 and 5 speed automatic.
I can tell you from experience the inline 6 diesel with the 5 speed auto is the best combination.
The engine is great if it's been well looked after.
The 4 speed auto is horrible - very jerky and never quite in the right gear.
I've had 7 Landcruisers of all types and my choice is 5 speed diesel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: