2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Battery goes flat despite being used

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 20:35    Post subject: Battery goes flat despite being used Reply with quote

Long long story short.

I have a 2018 shorty hard top. Great car,  bought off a main dealer at 2 and a half years old. To date this is all under warranty. We bought it for towing at sales and hay time but it also gets used as the posh car for weekends high days and holidays but it's not a daily. It has a tracker and a reverse camera and towing electrics but is otherwise factory. It's had an alarm sensor and a steering angle sensor.  It has a history of battery death to the point of it being on it's 4th already. The more it is used the faster it flattens the battery sometimes it will go 10 days sometimes it will last 2 or three days before it's dropped below 12v. There is no discernable pattern. But it's enough to make it untrustworthy. It keeps going to the dealer and they keep saying no fault found.  We have escalated it to toyota uk. It's currently at the dealer under the auspices of toyota and they have gone as far as interrogating the canbus. They have had it since the 8th of January but are constantly trying to hang it's problem on the tracker or anything that isn't factory. All their tests seem geared towards absolving them not finding the fault. It has been with an independent electrician too who again has only interrogated the computers. My working theory is a loose connection or frayed wire that remains unfound and is faulting when the car is driving.

Has anyone had a similar issue or able to say ooh it's a such and such?  It's getting in my head in a bad way.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 20:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:03    Post subject: Re: Battery goes flat despite being used Reply with quote

Thatfarmerbloke wrote:
Long long story short.

I have a 2018 shorty hard top. Great car,  bought off a main dealer at 2 and a half years old. To date this is all under warranty. We bought it for towing at sales and hay time but it also gets used as the posh car for weekends high days and holidays but it's not a daily. It has a tracker and a reverse camera and towing electrics but is otherwise factory. It's had an alarm sensor and a steering angle sensor.  It has a history of battery death to the point of it being on it's 4th already. The more it is used the faster it flattens the battery sometimes it will go 10 days sometimes it will last 2 or three days before it's dropped below 12v. There is no discernable pattern. But it's enough to make it untrustworthy. It keeps going to the dealer and they keep saying no fault found.  We have escalated it to toyota uk. It's currently at the dealer under the auspices of toyota and they have gone as far as interrogating the canbus. They have had it since the 8th of January but are constantly trying to hang it's problem on the tracker or anything that isn't factory. All their tests seem geared towards absolving them not finding the fault. It has been with an independent electrician too who again has only interrogated the computers. My working theory is a loose connection or frayed wire that remains unfound and is faulting when the car is driving.

Has anyone had a similar issue or able to say ooh it's a such and such?  It's getting in my head in a bad way.

Just one question ! What is the voltage when running ?
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

13.8 give or take. I would have expected 14.4 is but apparently 13.8 is the design spec,apparently to do with emissions or something, so I'm told.
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatfarmerbloke wrote:
13.8 give or take. I would have expected 14.4 is but apparently 13.8 is the design spec,apparently to do with emissions or something, so I'm told.

13.8 give or take does not cut it, and what revs is that at ? you need a exact measurement and what meter are you using ?

And I don't know who has told you it has to do with emissions ? thats a load of Cr**
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

13.8 is at idle it gets up to 14.08 at around 2k. This is taken from 2 separate meters and from the tracking system all are within a couple of hundredths of each other. The information about emissions and alt levels is from toyota.
andy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help.  Smart Alternators
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I have ever seen it charging above 14v while I have been live monitoring it.  But equally I would have thought that toyota would be checking this first?
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatfarmerbloke wrote:
13.8 is at idle it gets up to 14.08 at around 2k. This is taken from 2 separate meters and from the tracking system all are within a couple of hundredths of each other. The information about emissions and alt levels is from toyota.

That sounds about right from Toyota they don't know a lot!
But as Andy says there is such thing as "smart" Alternators but don't know if yours have one, as you say you have not seen any higher voltages when watching it on
the tracking system.
Not a Toyota, but on my wife's car that has a tracker the voltage varies from about 12 Volts up to about 15 Volts depending at which stage its at, usually when first started
its at the higher voltage, but as through the journey it drops down, but if say something is switched on then be voltage will change.
Getting back to the original problem, the battery change always get me thinking, with what you have said have the battery's been diagnosed changed by Toyota ? if so I would look at taking it else where
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

All work has been carried out by the main dealer initially under their own direction but latterly after a letter to the then ceo of toyota uk it's been at the direction of uk customer service/technical. This includes the independent? auto electrician.  As it's warranty we are relying on them to get to the bottom of it but it having gone on so long I'm looking for that one inspired idea to put to them. That said given they are having to get another identical van from another customer to compare the canbus readings to because they seemingly don't have a pdf with the specs to use, my confidence is not massively high.
jatoc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth trawling through Australian forums seeing if someone else has the same issue?
Can you get the tracker temporarily disconnected?
So far not been impressed with Toyota with my 2018 Utility tho no issues really
jatoc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 150 it has  keyless start? Does the battery only go flat at home? If so do you have a smart meter fitted to your electricity supply as these operate on the same frequency as keyless entry etc.
That's from Australia forum??
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's keyless, no we don't have smart meters but other people in the housing estate almost certainly will have. Surely though toyota would be very aware of that as it would be affecting a high proportion of models sold?
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so allegedly the car is 433mhz and from what I can discover uk meters are normally on 400 to 420mhz so unless it's something is defective which I have no means of testing for.  Its also worth noting that the entry system works as expected everywhere we go.

As for the tracking system it is currently disconnected against my wishes along with the reverse camera and trailer electric as toyota weren't willing to work on the car with any modifications.  However in conversation with the tracking provider the system is evidently working correctly when they have interrogated it and equally its not doing anything erratic as would be expected if it was defective. It is truly maddening.
jatoc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you connect a multimeter or scan gauge to see voltage whilst driving? Sense your frustration must be maddening.
jatoc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you connect a multimeter or scan gauge to see voltage whilst driving? Sense your frustration must be maddening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: