Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Battery goes flat despite being used

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

After today's " meeting " we are now looking at trying "calibrating" the tracking system. I think their idea is that we can then use it for live monitoring logging that correlates to their system?  Or as I might call it, clutching at straws.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 18:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatfarmerbloke wrote:
After today's " meeting " we are now looking at trying "calibrating" the tracking system. I think their idea is that we can then use it for live monitoring logging that correlates to their system?  Or as I might call it, clutching at straws.

Hi again,
Clutching at straws sounds about right, I don't know the meaning of "Calibrating" the tracking system, all the tracking system does is reading  the GPS receiver and sending to a server so it can be viewed, and the tracking system draws very little current.

I think what you need is a Ammeter so you can see what is being drawn, but to be honest I don't think it is a short problem
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm not sure what they are hoping to achieve by logging just the voltage other than it drops at differing rates over time,  it doesn't indicate where the electricity is going whether it is a short or a module not turning off or whatever it actually is.  It also doesn't really help unless I observe a drop and they can simultaneously observe the canbus and see what is doing what. It's no use looking for an intermittent problem when it's not being a problem. I guess I am waiting till the results of the back to back testing with this other guys cruiser is done,  hopefully it will show up a problem with mine and it can be fixed. What is happening though is I'm about ready to look for another one and start again with a hopefully straight car.
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former manager had this problem on a Mercedes GL which kept flattening the battery until one day the car died on him in the outside lane of the motorway. After weeks of searching , the Mercedes dealer found that the main loom hadn't been fitted properly where it passed through the bulkhead into the cabin. This had rubbed through the wiring and was shorting on the bodywork. New loom and all was well. Could this be your problem? Something to tell Toyota when you are next in there.

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time I dare to suggest something like that I get shot down in flames " it's a toyota dontchano we build our cars perfectly every time,  it must be something you have done!" Which as you can imagine annoys the hell out of me especially when I hear they are recalling 38 thousand tundra in America because of a loose bolt in the back axle.
jatoc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

What spec battery do they fit?
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a single 75Ah but I can't remember what the cca is. I think it's a consequence of it being a base specification van version which supposedly has less computers to power.
andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatfarmerbloke wrote:
It's a single 75Ah but I can't remember what the cca is. I think it's a consequence of it being a base specification van version which supposedly has less computers to power.

My 17 plate Invincible X is fitted with a 65 ah battery, which looks like the original one, but I'm just about to fit a 335 which is 100 ah I think.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so some preliminary feedback from the testing and logging. After 9 odd weeks not moving they finally took it out on the road and as if by magic they have found that the door mirrors are moving of their own accord and in so doing are waking up the whole vehicle. In the middle of the night. These are 2 of the things we were aware of and had specifically suggested as being potentially involved in the loss of electricity. They are initially suggesting that the mirrors have been damaged and lost their park detent which is possible especially as the car had 3 owners in the 2.5 years before we bought it. However I think it is more likely that the controller is at fault rather than the actual mechanism?  My reason being it's needed the vibration of being driven to set it off?
jatoc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good, so are Toyota paying for the relevant parts?
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't had that meeting yet but everything so far has been at their expense and considered warranty.
jatoc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's reassuring,  Asked my local dealer to investigate a knock from the suspension,  they ask for £140, up front refunded if they find a fault.
In the end local mot tester found a worn anti roll bar bush,  no charge, just replaced parts myself.
Not sure if this extended warranty is worth going for?
Thatfarmerbloke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

We reported electrical issues on this car almost as soon as we bought it and they've essentially telling us they can't find anything and asking us to monitor since then to o the point now 3 plus years later they've finally found something so they are honouring this under the main warranty not an extended one. Which is nice.
jatoc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Engine Oil the dealer used? Repeatedly they tried to use 5/30   even when I specifically asked for 0/30 , on the 5/30 oil definitely more fuel used, by  up to 2mpg,  ,for them the 5/30 a lot cheaper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: