4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Croisiere Blanche in the Alps January

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Other events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mettisse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 23:09    Post subject: Croisiere Blanche in the Alps January Reply with quote

We're off the "cros" in Jan, anyone else going? Bill Westley
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 23:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ozzymondo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 23:37    Post subject: cross Reply with quote

hi bill , i am off to arctic circle feb/march time to see northern lights and enjoy some proper snow , will be going in mi landy though , not got mi 80 series sorted yet , by the way cant seem to find any snow chains to fit mi goodyear wranglers 285/75/15 ,mtr's, any ideas ?
mettisse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sounds like your up for some fun, you can look for chains anywhere but its worth remembering that chains go up and down a couple of sizes, I have chains that say they are for 305 75 16 but I've had them on 275's and on 33x12.5x15, there is quite a bit of adjustment, but it seems that RJ Harvey Landrovers in essex can supply some chains, not as agressive as that you might want, but are you hill climbing on your trip? if not they may be ok No I don't have the number handy, have fun, best regards Bill Westley
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
mettisse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, DO NOT use the the diff locks with chains on, that includes the centre lock, of course for limited use for traction, ok, but for driving, its a no no, you cant steer, try it out, you'l be suprised, best regards . Bill Westley
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzymondo

Interested in your journey which I assume (rightly or wrongly) is Norway/Sweden or Finland?
Have been up that way in the past but never in Winter.

Wherever you are heading for can you please let us know how you are getting across the water as we are having problems finding a decent route at present.

Thanks

Roger
ozzymondo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 0:31    Post subject: norway Reply with quote

hi there, now that the ferry to stevanger is a non starter we are goin to get a ferry to Denmark and then across to sweden then drive up from there , not got anything booked yet , waiting to see what work is like in the new year , cheers and all the best for christmas , Mark.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
So perhaps your thinking of Norway, ? Nordkaap ?
Here is a 'taster' This is Oslo.

I have never seen anyone in Norway with chains on, I went up past Trondheim last week, damn cold. minus 15, and the roads were fine.
If I have to compliment the Norwegians, it is how well they shift much of the snow,
Not just with a few ploughs and blowers, but ARMIES of them, behind each other, They seem to have more JCB's for snow clearance than for building sites!
It is a very beautiful place, but remember, January / February it will be dark, I am sure you know that anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKMnF4kTtFE
I am in Oslo, so could possibly join the trip?
There is Tor Line you can look at.
http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/EN/Schedules/NorthSea/index.htm
Immingham to Brevik could be my next try.
Or depending where you are, there is the Dover Calais, drive to Copenhagen, drive the spectacular Copenhagen  Malmo tunnel/Bridge crossing, into Sweden, then all the way up.
Or perhaps  Harwich to Esbjerg , Denmark, drive to Copenhagen or Fredrikshaven, and DFDS all the way to Oslo, which is a nice overnight cruise.
I have done the old  DFDS 'Newcastle to Stavanger, which stopped on 01.09.2008, and I have done Copenhagen to Oslo. also with DFDS.
'vette
mettisse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we're back, we  had a few problems with the French "ecoligists" they had a Judge from Maseille rule that the "Croisiere Blanche" was Illigal so we called it " another motor event" and carried on, apparntly not illegal! so, we were on the "extreme " team, camped out in the snow in up (down?) to minus 20 deg celcius, do you know what? it did'nt feel cold at all! we were as warm as you like in the tent, I was suprised. good event, well supported, if you want to drive snow this is the one, although I do feel it could all end in tears, restrictions from all corners could end the event, funny thing though, the local people, you know, the people who actually live in the the two valleys, LOVE the event and see it for what it is, a good economic boost to the area, at that time of the year when  skiers are a bit scarce, and lets face it, EVERYONE has to live by whatever means (legally) they can and 6 out of 7 local mayors support the event, we'll have to wait and see. I towed my hybrid on a trailer down to the alps with my "80" 'Bruiser, loverrly, great tow truck, some french guys did the event with their 80's, they acquited themselves admirably, but I want to try and preserve mine for I have bigger fish to fry. Have to see how the economic situation pans out before we make any plans for the next 'froadin excusion. best regards to all . Bill Westley
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
grenade
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

metisse: did you take any pictures?
mettisse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep we have some good pics but we're in the process of putting them from the camera to the computa, for a technophobe like me no easy task!!!!!!  be as quick as I can! one peice of kit that we used for the first time was our new "kelly Kettle" at the altitude we were at gas stoves hardly work and our Coleman petrol stove was extremely hard to get going (not impossible) and strangely it was hard to get a fire going! but once we did we were boiling a litre or so of water in about 3 to 4 minutes and only burning small bits of wood' we did take it to Morocco last November but it was so easy to use the gas stove we did'nt try it out. It'll be the Kelly in future, no need to carry fuel. Best Regards to all' Bill Westley
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt our gallic friends test explode a few nukes in some pacific paradise atoll not long ago. is not the french arms and fighter plane industry very busy? a few harmless people playing int he snow isnt going to hurt.

been surfing net for more info on 2010 but all is quiet .. you think the event will be on?

Bill, what cold mods do you recommend?

Neal
busaboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think it was so popular, i'm planning a Northern lights trip too!
mettisse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya were on the "Extreme" again in Jan, Its from the 26th to the29th, all info on the GRM site. Mods for this event? I dont do this event in my 'Bruiser, I tow the off roader with it, but I should imagine most 4x4 s with mud-terrains and snow chains can easily do this. Its just that with a suspension lift and stuff you'll get further in the fresh deep snow.  a few years ago they selected about 20 of the more capable cars and we went separate in more difficult lanes, that WAS fun, but in fairness its all fun. Quite a few 80 series appear at the event, you'll know that the 80 is a very expensive truck in France, often selling for 15 to 20 thousand euros!!!! before modding.  We drive leisurely and make a "Trip" of the journey taking a day and ahalf to get there. We go with 5 or 6 people in the car so that 3or 4 will ski whist 2 of us will drive and that way we get good value from the whole trip. One thing we do that is a preference for us is that we go self-catering on the event, that is the lunches, in the past we've had the provided lunches at 10euros a go, but now we have the "kelly kettle" we make ourselves instant soup or coffee/tea and have the instant meals you add hot water to, but you can do whatever you want. most of all have fun!!!!!!  Best regards Bill Westley
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bill, greetings from Billericay. already returning from brittany on the 2nd jan so to go a few week later may be a little tight as would want to check out running gear etc. And planning something for March/April then pyrenees for summer.

I really fancied cold and snow but maybe next year ..

yes bought a kelly kettle a few years ago, can use twigs, tissue + diesel etc they are good.

In middle of preparation, chopped exhaust and towbar removal taken about 40kg off .. thats equivalent to a lot of kit. Have some body lift spacers bought in error and not sure to lift body we'll see.

at moment looking for a Wales weekend with a group

Neal
mettisse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is this is avery expensive bit of 'froadin, I think about 800 euros for two in a car, so it makes economic sense to share the drive. That said, where can you drive like this anywhere in Europe? It is without doubt an experiance thats well worth the effort, and the way we do it means we get a lot of bang for our dollar. Interestingly the GRM are planning a trip to Morrocco, but for my money I'd just go, after the  first time we went ( with Impala) we got the confidence to "Just Go" and now I do. At the right time of year you can drive snow in the Atlas! not that I would, anyway, the Pyrenees are good, and Wales, although I've only been once is great. Best Regards Bill Westley (only down the road at Sunny Canvey Island, a 'froaders nightmare!!!!)
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Other events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: