All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Cruise control in a diesel Colorado?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyindonk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 22:08    Post subject: Cruise control in a diesel Colorado? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking for a late model D4D Colorado with cruise control. I've read in the brochure from that time that CC was only available in the petrol vehicle. Does anyone know any different? Was it ever fitted to the diesel Colorado or can it be retro fitted? I have a 98 Audi A4 which didn't come with CC but was easily fitted afterwards with genuine Audi parts (even tho my Audi dealer assured me that it definitely couldn't be done). I found out on the Audi forums that it can.

Thanks,

Mal
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 22:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest why would you want Cruise Control? Have to say i've never understood the need for it, i don't think i've ever driven in the UK for more that 20 mins at a constant speed - always some idiot wanting to cut you up or road works - and even in France i just found a comfortable spot to lean my foot against on the accelerator and left it there. Not slagging off cruise control at all just just curious as to how it's useful.

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
Flyindonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Chris,

I got into the habit of using CC when truck driving round europe. Doing over 100k miles a year it was very useful for various reasons. One of these being fuel economy, an other comfort - you dont have to hold your foot in an exact position for hours on end and another to try and not get caught speeding. You get to know what speed you can get away with on whatever roads and set the CC to this speed then relax. You know your speed is not creeping up risking a fine or points and you know its not creeping down meaning taking longer to get there. When youre driving for ten hours a day you try can keep to the max if possible. Also with speed limiters not being exactly the same if I come up behind and lorry doing a fraction of an mph slower than me then I just knock the CC back a nick and stay behind him to avoid sitting in the middle lane for miles like some of these other so called professional drivers who block lanes.

Although I dont do as much truck driving now I would still do a fair bit of driving round the UK. Next week I'll be a bit above Inverness and down below Bristol and all about in between.

Yes, sometimes when youre cruising along using CC people do cut you up but one of the handiest things about it is that you hit resume and it'll take you back to the exact speed you were at before.

It would actually make the difference wether on not I would buy a colorado.

I used to have a 90 Defender and on the Aussie forums there was a guy who figured out how to fit CC to post '02 defenders using the CC that was already in the ECU for Dicsoverys.

So I'm hoping there is a switched on Toyota man that has done similar.

Mal
grumpygramps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I got a 2001 Colorado VX with the D4D engine and it has Cruise Control fitted from new, so yes you can get the diesel Colorado with Cruise Control.
rossma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fitted it on mine last week - 2002/51 D4D auto.
Flyindonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks grumpygramps. I wonder why the brochure says petrol only???

rossma, can you tell me more? Toyota CC or aftermarket kit?

Mal
Pat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mal,

I fitted aftermarket cruise to my 02 D4D VX Auto a few months back.  Went to Dave Newell and received excellent service and a quality installation.
I opted for the AP900 unit (electronic actuator - for longevity and less complicated installation), with the CM35 column-mounted controller.
Not having driven with the factory-fitted c/c, I'm not in a position to compare, but I'm pleased with mine.   Smile

Pat

Last edited by Pat on Mon Sep 27, 2010 13:49; edited 1 time in total
rossma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is toyota cruise as per the factory install
fridayman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat wrote:
Hi Mal,

I fitted aftermarket cruise to my 02 D4D VX Auto a few months back.  Went to Dave Newell and received excellent service and a quality installation.
I opted for the AP900 unit (electronic actuator - for longevity and less complicated installation), with the CM35 column-mounted controller.
Not having driven with the factory-fitted c/c, I'm not in a position to compare, but I'm pleased with mine.   Smile

Pat

If you don't mind, what did he chage to do this?
Pat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

fridayman wrote:
Pat wrote:
Hi Mal,

Pat

If you don't mind, what did he chage to do this?

His website states £435 fitted inc. vat
go to   davenewell.co.uk
MAZI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2002 3.0 D4D with factory fitted cruise control.
I will be selling it soon if you are interested
Darrellspeed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to rehash an old thread, but can i add cruise control to my manual d4d gx? im finding im doing more motorway miles lately and have a weak ankle that starts to throb on long hauls so cruise control would allow me to keep it free and non aching.
would like to do it with genuine parts if possible.
trooperman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in this thread, the lack of cruise is the only thing I don't like about my cruiser
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrellspeed wrote:
sorry to rehash an old thread, but can i add cruise control to my manual d4d gx? im finding im doing more motorway miles lately and have a weak ankle that starts to throb on long hauls so cruise control would allow me to keep it free and non aching.
would like to do it with genuine parts if possible.

Cruise Control can be added to any vehicle; you just need to know the ins & outs of each individual engine setup.

The D4D I believe are drive by wire, with CC being an option when originally purchased.
The parts to retro fit would be available from a vehicle dismantlers, probably not even Landcruiser specific. Usually with drive by wire systems, CC is an additional pickup thats plugged into the Engine ECU; it basically mimics your right foots position to control the throttle butterfly and common rail fuel delivery rate.
There are also additional pickups & sensors, sometimes hard wired ready and sometimes requiring retro wiring. These include things such as a limp mode notification from the ECU to cancel, to switches on the clutch and brake pedal; touching either pedal will cause CC to cancel until Resume is pressed. Other smarter systems also include things such as cancelling whenever the wipers are used on full or cancelling in the event of a sharp corner (not safe to be on full throttle & cornering hard or on waterlogged roads). Also for automatics, going straight to full throttle on resume to make the gearbox kick down if required or hard wired into gearbox ECU to make shift changes as needed. They dont all include this though.

Retro fitting to a Non drive by wire is even easier; a rotary actuator mounts the other side of the throttle butterfly, and takes over the throttle cable pressure when CC ic switched on. This also has feeds for brake pedal & clutch pedal cancelling, but normally doesnt involve the engine or autobox ECU or clever rain or sharp corner detection.

I have fitted a few CC systems in my team, mainly to VAG or Mercedes. They are pretty much all the same setup though, and often not beyond the will of man to fit yourself; sometimes a software patch may be required for it to work with the ECU, but this is quite rare; they are usually 'Plug & Play'. The sensors and wiring can sometimes be a different matter.

Hope this helps...

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
Darrellspeed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:23    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

does anyone have pictures or part numbers of the bits i need for genuine bits, i have a breaker who is looking to see if he has one but doesnt know exactly what bits he's looking for.

many thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: